Friday, 22 September 2006

Off on my travels!

I'm off to Nepal tomorrow. I've never been 'travelling' and I've never visited Asia so I'm very excited and also a bit nervous. What will it be like? Will it be baking hot? Will it be really crowded and overwhelming? Will it be dusty? Dirty? Tiring? Beautiful? Awe-inspiring? Calming? Life changing?

I guess I'll have to get on that plane at 11am tomorrow and find out!

My friend L, who has been over the since April, has arranged our itinerary and includes 3 night and 4 days at a national park where we'll get to ride elephants, visit the breeding programme, walk through the jungle and go canoeing. We're also going trekking for 3 days, white-water rafting, going to visit temples, national monuments as well as a few shopping trips to buy silver and local goods. God, just typing it all out is making me feel even more excited!

I'm still not 100% over the virus I had recently so that's a bit worrying. I've got an on/off headache and my glands are up but I'm hoping that with paracetamol, orange juice and plenty of water I'll shake it off. The last thing I want is to be ill abroad (even tho' I do have insurance).

I haven't planned to do any short story or flash writing while I'm over there but I'm sure my notebook will be filled with sights, sounds and experiences. There are, apparently, internet cafes in Kathmandu so I'll log on to check my email when I can and visit my 2 online writing groups and see what they're up to.

Bye for now.

No comments: