Monday, 18 September 2006

Where did the words come from?

I thought this month would be a crap one, words-wise, because I'm only writing until 23rd Septemeber when I go to Nepal for a 3 week trekking/exploring/white-water-rafting/culture-filled holiday, but it's not (so far!). I've written over 5,000 words so far this month including 2 flashes and a story. I've also noted down a few story ideas in my notebook (but those don't count towards the word count). It's strange how you can be so blocked and empty and all of a sudden the words and ideas start to flow again.

Yesterday I noted down 3 story ideas that were prompted by something I'd read or watched on TV that evening. Two aren't particularly ingenious, but one definitely has some potential so I'll stew on it for a while (or rather, I need to stew on the main character because, according to AK, plotting BEFORE you write the story is a bad thing. It's the character that decides how the action in a story will progess, not the author).

My current story in primaries is getting mixed reviews (as I thought it might). That sounds bad but actually it's good because it means I can identify when I've written a duff story and when I've written and half-way decent one (those are few and far between).

I've got a lot on my plate, writing-wise, for the rest of the year. I'm signed up for Slingink's 'Eurofiction' which starts in October and continues for twenty weeks, ten stories in all. The first has to be in two days after I get back from Nepal so hopefully I'll find an internet cafe while I'm over there and pick up the prompts. In an idea world I'll write my story on the plane on the way back. In reality I'm likely to write it an hour before the deadline!

The other thing I've signed up for is AK's 'Children in Need' writeathon on 16th/17th November. I did it last year and wrote 15 stories in 27 hours (one of which made it into the anthology and two others won prizes in comps this year). This year I aim to write more than 15 stories and, ideally, raise more than the £200 I raised last year (the group total was over £14,000 including sales of the anthology).

I'm not sure if anyone is reading this blog but if you are, and if you fancy finding out more about the writeathon please leave me a message.

Only 4 more days until I leave for Nepal. I've got a couple of comp entries to do before then so I'm unlikely to get any more words down - but I might, you never know.

Oh! One more bit of news - one of my stories has been shortlisted for the Mere Literary Festival. It made the 24 (from 274) stories that were forwarded to the judge for final judging. Result!

No comments: