Monday, 30 October 2006

Eurofiction Task 2 - Done!

I have to admit I struggled a bit with Task 2 of Eurofiction. I wrote just over 1,000 words to one prompt and then scrapped it and started writing to another prompt. Nearly 2,500 words later and I've finished it and subbed it.

Am I happy with it?

Yes and No. Yes because I think the characters work and there's conflict, crisis and resolution in the plot. No because...well...it just didn't flow as seamlessly as I wanted. There's something missing from this story and I'm too close to it to work out what it was. It's not a bad story per se but I know it could be 100x better. This is the only second sci-fi story I've EVER written (the first being for Task 1) and I think I've got a lot to learn about the genre. As usual when I write a story I skimped on description and concentrated on dialogue (it's what I most enjoy writing) but I think it may leave the reader in a bit of void when it comes to the environment. Also, on re-reading, the opening isn't as strong as it should be.

I don't think this story will score nil points (at least I hope it doesn't) but I really don't think I'll make the top 5 stories this time. Anyway, onwards...

The details of Task 3 will be announced this evening so it's time to put this story behind me and move on to the next one.

No comments: