Monday, 27 November 2006

Children in Need Results

The Children in Need results are now final. Well done to Cedric (1st), Fleur (2nd) and Vanessa (3rd). Two of my stories (one of which, Six Uses for a Hedgehog, is in the CiN anthology) made it to the final 12 which was wonderful. The Nest even got voted first by two different people which made my day, but wasn't quite enough to get me into the top 3 placings.

Still, that means the story has 'legs' so to speak so now I just need to decide if I want to write it into a longer story (it's only 665 words) or cut it into a 500 word flash. I haven't got a ton of stories available to sub to comps at the moment (most of the good ones have already been published) so it would make sense to write it into a longer story - I just need to give it time to sink into my subconsious so my brain can work out where it should go next. Ditto with another flash that scored quite well but wasn't published.

I mentioned in the last post that I finished my Eurofiction entry last night. What I forgot to mention was that I wrote another story on Saturday night for the current (closing on 30th November) Slingink Autumn Inspirations challenge. I really didn't think I could come up with a story that 'captured the essence of autumn' but an image came to mind and then I was off. Even if the story doesn't win the £15 book voucher I think it may be suitable to sub to a women's magazine. I'm a bit late to sub them autumn stories, however, so I may have to wait until summer next year before I sub it.

Autumn (winter?) nights seem to be working for me at the moment. It's so cold and dark outside that it makes sense to stay indoors where it's warm and cosy and put my writing hat on.

It feels good to be writing so regularly. I've written over 15,000 words (including the 18 CiN flashes and 3 additional stories) this month which is unheard of for me!

No comments: