Friday, 24 November 2006

Helen Mullin 1st Prize

Earlier this evening I went to the Post Office to pick up some post. One of the packages contained an anthology of stories from the Helen Mullin awards, an envelope containing a cheque for £100 and a certificate saying I'd been awarded 1st place!

Am very chuffed. The same story "Burnt-Ochre Heart" came second in a Writersdock competition earlier this year but wasn't published and didn't win any money so I thought I'd try it somewhere else. So glad I did!

The money will come in very useful with Christmas round the corner and the certificate will...eventually... be framed (I have plans to frame all my certificate and put them on the wall next to my desk - as an attempt to convince me, during periods of self doubt, that I CAN write!)

Fantastic news.

In other news I also found out today that "Six Uses for a Hedgehog" and "Words in a Black Bin" have both been published in the Children in Need Writeathon 2006 anthology (titled "Brain Dead" which just about sums up how I felt at the end of the 27 hours). I've ordered 10 copies so if anyone wants a copy send me an email or leave a comment here. They'll be about £3-£3.50 each.

Oh - and the Skrev Press anthology also arrived this morning. It's called "Pastoral Pastimes" and is a really lovely little book. Available on Amazon.co.uk soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cally,

Congratulations on winning first prize in the Helen Mullin awards. I'm very pleased for you; you deserve it!

Best wishes,
Sonny
Administrator
Writers' Dock.

;)