Friday, 25 May 2007

Ghosts




Okay - so here's some info about my ghost sighting/feeling experiences.

Experience 1

My Gran used to live on a farm in the country. The farmhouse she lived in was old (it had an outside toilet as well as an upstairs bathroom) and she had a pantry attached to her kitchen. She also used one of the downstairs rooms as a junk room - and that's where she kept her big chest freezer. When I used to stay with her she'd often ask me to go and get something from the chest freezer while she was cooking (normally a packet of peas) which required me to go into the junk room. Now I can't remember how old I was when I first felt a presence in that room but it's ingrained in my memory so I assume it was from the first time I went in. I say felt a presence because I never saw anything but I had an overwhelming feeling that there was someone at the opposite side of the room who was watching me. It was a very, very intense sensation and very, very uncomfortable - like the presence wanted me GET THE HELL OUT!

So, whenever Gran would ask me to get a packet of peas I'd run into the junk room, head down, wrench open the chest freezer, grab the peas and run out again. I would NOT look up - just in case I saw anything. I hate..absolutely hated going in that room.

Now for the interesting bit...

I never told anyone how I felt about the junk room. I didn't know what a ghost was and I thought people would think I was strange for being scared of the room. Finally, when I was in my mid-twenties, I asked my sister (three years younger) if there were any rooms in Gran's house that she didn't like.

"Yeah," she said. "The junk room. That room still scares the shit out of me."

Co-incidence or was there really something in there?

Experience 2

A couple of years ago I went to a cottage in Wales for three nights with a group of three female friends. There were only three bedrooms so two of the girls decided to double up in one of the double beds. That left one double bed in another room and a bunkbed in the tiny box room. Friend 3 and I decided that the fairest thing to do was to take it in turns to sleep in the double room. Fair enough.

The first time I realised there was something wrong with the cottage was when I was sitting on the sofa, alone, reading a book. Out of the corner of my eye I suddenly saw someone run up the stairs - like a dark shadowy blur. No one had been in the room with me and there was no way to get to the stairs without walking behind or in front of me and I hadn't seen anyone so I went into the kitchen to see who it was. All three of my friends were in the kitchen. Whoever I'd seen running up the stairs - it wasn't any of them.

That night was my turn to sleep in the double room. I closed the curtains before I went to bed and turned off the light. The cottage was in the middle of the country and not close to any main roads of street lamps so it was completely dark with the lights off. I'm talking pitch black. Anyway, I fell asleep. At about 3am I woke up. The room was still pitch black apart from a circle of light on the chimney stack - which was opposite the end of the bed. The circle seemed to pulse and I suddenly felt the overwhelming feeling that I was in danger and something wanted me out of the room. The whole atmosphere in the room had changed and it was heavy, thick, one of pure anger - something wanted me out. You imagine that you'd just jump out of bed and run away in that kind of situation but I literally froze. I pulled the duvet over my head and said the Lord's prayer over and over again (and I'm not particularly religious) - I was that afraid. Eventually, sweating my arse off, I fell asleep.

The next night was friend 3's turn to sleep in the room. I didn't say anything to her about what I'd experienced (I didn't want her to think I was a complete kook) and fell asleep, feeling nothing but exhaustion, on the bottom bunk of the box room. Friend 3 was a bit psychic so I was curious if she'd pick up on the vibes in the room.

She did. The next morning she told me there was a ghost in the room. She hadn't seen anything but she'd definitely felt something in there, she said.

On the third night we decided to sleep in the double room together. It was uncomfortable on the bottom bunk of the box room and we figured that if we stayed in the double room together we'd be fine. I let Friend 3 have the bed and I made up a bed on the floor with the mattress from one of the bunk beds. Again, I woke up at 3am. This time the circle of light was about twice the size and the feeling of menace had doubled. Whatever was in that room was royally pissed off that we were both in there AND WANTED US OUT. My friend was fast asleep and I didn't want to wake and scare her so I just lay on the floor and shook with fear (it sounds like a cliche but I was really shaking). I pulled the duvet up round my shoulders and then SOMETHING TOUCHED MY HAIR. That was it - enough - I pulled the duvet over my head and inched my way along the floor and into the corridor. It took me a long, long time to fall asleep.

You couldn't pay me to sleep in that room again. Apart from my near drowning when I went white water rafting last year it was the most terrifying experience of my life.


Experience 3

I've been living in my current flat in Brighton for five years. Last year water leaked through from my bathroom and dripped through my floor into my downstairs neighbours flat. That was the first time I met her - when she knocked on my front door to complain. She was an older lady, probably in her mid sixties and lived on her own.

I sorted out the problem with the bathroom and thought that was that.

Then, about six months later I woke up in the middle of the night. Someone was standing at the end of my bed. I couldn't see her per se but I knew it was an old lady. I didn't feel terrified, like on previous occasions, but I definitely felt unnerved.

A couple of months later I bumped into two people going in and out of the old lady's flat and struck up a conversation with them. They told me they were developers and were doing up the flat.

"Oh," I said. "Did the lady who lived here move out?"

"No," they said. "She died two months ago."

So there you go - my three ghost experiences. Sleep well tonight! ;o)

5 comments:

A. Writer said...

Wow! I love them! Really spooky!

I love ghost stories! I get really spooked hearing them but I still love them. I'll have to post my spooky experiences at some point.

Great stuff!

liz fenwick said...

Thanks Cally, they wewre brilliant! The sense of menace was fabulous btw :-)

I'm just doing the meme now!

Lesley Cookman said...

I've had a couple of similar experiences, especially the one about someone running up the stairs. I saw someone go into our front room - in the morning, so not in the dark - through a door which was no longer there. We reinstated the door!

And poor old dear - mid-sixties, eh? Terribly old...

CTaylor said...

Ummm... of course she wasn't an 'old lady' as 65. I did write 'older' first but slipped to 'old'..

Sorry if I offended anyone in their sixties!

CTaylor said...

A.Writer - write a post on your ghost experieneces. Would love to hear them. To be honest I'd be perfectly happy never to see/experience another ghost in my life!

Liz - thanks! I look forward to reading your meme.

Lesley - what happened when you reinstated the door? Did the ghost stop walking through the wall?