Tuesday, 1 May 2007

Not much to report so here's a report!

No words written yesterday and very little done writing-wise (drinks after work for someone's leaving do threw a spanner in the works). Last night I totted up my year-to-date figures (something I try and do at the end of every month).

I haven't set myself any specific targets for my writing year (apart from "write over 100,000 words this year") but, having read Sally's recent blog entry, I've started thinking that maybe I should. Anyway, here are my stats for the first four months of 2007:

Number of words written: 55,017
Number of stories written: 10
Number of flashes written: 2
Number of poems written: 1
Percentage of novel written: 38.1%
Number of subs: 81*
Number of hits: 9
Number of rejects: 29
Number of publications: 3

* 81 isn't the number of unique stories/flashes/poems I've sent out as I recycle my subs. i.e. if I send out a story to a comp in January and get a rejection in February I'll normally send it out again, straight away, to another comp or publication. That way you continually have subs 'out there'.

My stats don't look too bad for four months (especially the number of words written, the novel stats and subs rate) but I'm not impressed by the number of stories and flashes I've written. The hit rate could be a bit better too.

So, time to set myself some targets for the rest of 2007:

1) Finish novel
2) Write 40 stories
3) Write 20 flashes
4) Write 200,000 words
5) Get 40 hits
6) Achieve 20 publications (online or print)
7) Start new novel?

The targets look a bit high and scary at the moment but sometimes you need to stretch yourself. At the end of the year I'll report on how well I did!

7 comments:

Helen said...

What a good idea. I have a 'to do' list for myself but I like how you quantify your progress. Makes it seem more real and when you look back you can see you have done something.

One question though - and forgive my ignorance - but what is a 'flash'?

Cally said...

A 'flash' is flash fiction. Depending on the definition you read it's either:

a) a short story under 1,000 words
b) a short story under 500 words
c) a story written quickly (in a 'flash')

According to Wikipedia:

Flash fiction differs from a vignette in that the flash-fiction work contains the classic story elements: protagonist, conflict, obstacles or complications, and resolution. However, unlike the case with a traditional short story, the limited word length often forces some of these elements to remain unwritten, that is, hinted at or implied in the written storyline. This principle, taken to the extreme, is illustrated by Ernest Hemingway's six-word flash, "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Helen said...

*Light dawns on me* I see. I did some of that in my classes too! Thanks.

Quillers said...

Good luck with the goals, Cally! I think sometimes even if we don't do everything on the list, we do more than we would have without setting the goal.

I'm very impressed by the number of subs you have out there. And you said the other week that my 50(ish) was good!

liz fenwick said...

Great idea but it might frighten me into not doing anything...however i must be brave:-)

have I asked you to write a paragraph or two telling a bit about your as i am profiling the novel racers over on my blog. Too brave souls are up already...jane Henry and Lesley Cookman.

Cally said...

Sally - It is good. You've also written THIRTY stories in 4 months. That's nearly two a week. Incredible!

Liz - Ooh, don't let it frighten you - it's suppose to encourage you. Nope, don't think you mentioned the bio thing before. Will mozey (sp?) on over to your blog and take a look.

Novelgirl said...

Wow you are so motivated - I think I will do a list and put it on my blog - at least then I have something to aim for. Good Luck with it all.