Sunday, 27 May 2007

Novel Progress - Update

So, 1,700(ish) words written yesterday and 800(ish) words today and the current word count is 58,129/90,000 (64.6% written). Am aiming to hit 60,000 words written by Monday night.

For the last week I've written over the 750 words a day that YWriter told me I'd need to write to hit my 15 July deadline (i.e. novel first draft written in 4 months exactly). As a result I now only need to write 650 words a day to hit that deadline. Excellent.

The reason why I tried to write more than 750 words a day is because my parents are coming down next week to help me do up my flat and I'm not sure I'll be able to find the time to write. That said my parents are taking my bedroom and I'm sleeping on the living room floor - and they're 'early to bed' while I'm a bit of a night owl so I'm sure I'll find an hour here and there to write. Is it wrong that I'm worried about when I'll get to write rather than just being excited that my parents are going to help me fix my tumble-down flat? Probably.

You know what? Trying to write to a self-imposed deadline is really mentally tiring. My head is full of the novel - when I'm not actually writing about it I'm thinking about it, or I'm sketching out the last few days of the novel and trying to work out what scene should happen on what day. I'm going to have at least a week off writing when I've finished!

Today I wrote a really emotional scene and I just felt so drained when I'd finished writing it. Poor main character and 'A' - the other person in the scene - I really felt for them.

Right - I'm off for a walk. Need to stretch my legs and breathe in some fresh London pollution!

2 comments:

SallyQ said...

It is all-consuming, Cally, but that means you're committed to the novel, so that's a good thing! I know all about those emotionally draining scenes. I cried a couple of times during the writing of my novel.

I'm sure you'll have a great time with your parents, and find time to write!

A. Writer said...

It's amazing how much writing a novel affects your life. You just can't stop thinking about it sometimes.

I know, like Sally, I cried when I wrote some of emotional scenes in INN,TW? At that moment in time I saw the characters as my 'friends' and I felt for them when they were going through a rough time.

Have fun fixing your flat up with your parents! I'm sure you'll find the time to write sometime :)