Sunday, 17 June 2007

As if they weren't bad enough anyway...

... an estate agent tried to break into my flat today!

A little background. I live in the first floor flat of a converted terraced house. Below me is, obviously, the ground floor flat. The house next door has the same first floor and ground floor arrangement. The two first floor flats share a front door and then stairs to a shared hallway where the doors to our flats our. The two ground floor flats share a different front door and a shared hallway with the doors to their flats.

Okay...on with the story...

I was in the kitchen earlier today when I heard the door to my flat rattling and the sound of keys in the lock. I'd locked the door (and left the keys in) and I wasn't expecting visitors - particularly not visitors who had spare keys to my flat. I hurried to the door and opened it a crack, reading myself to scream in case it was a burglar with a crowbar in his hand. A young man in a suit, keys in his hand, stared back at me.

"Hello," he said. "I've come to show the flat."

"My flat isn't for sale. The ground floor flat is."

"Yes, I know."

"The ground floor flat is...downstairs..."

"Oh, right, thanks."

The man walked UPSTAIRS to my flat. The flat for sale was on the ground floor. I think there's a clue there.

No comments: