Thursday, 14 June 2007

Music Meme

Sally tagged me with a music meme and, after a kick up the bum (just kidding, Sally) I've finally got round to doing it.

Here are the rules:

1. Go to http://www.popculturemadness.com/ or http://www.everyhit.com/
2. Pick the year you turned 18
3. Get yourself nostalgic over the songs of the year
4. Write something about how the song affected you
5. Pass it on to 5 more friends

I used http://www.everyhit.com/

1 Vic Reeves & The Wonder Stuff - Dizzy - #1 - Oct 1991

Vic Reeves was MASSIVE in 1991. Everyone was watching "Vic Reeves Big Night Out". I have to admit that I rarely 'got' the humour in Big Night Out (though I did go on to love "Shooting Stars"). Anyway, I loved The Wonder Stuff (especially "Size of a Cow") but I did think this song was a bit silly - "Dizzy, my head is spinning, like a whirlpool" - but that didn't stop me dancing to it like a maniac at school discos.

2 Unlimited - Get Ready For This - #2 - Oct 1991

Oh God - I HATED this song. I used to go to a really cheesy club in town with one ofr my friends and this song was forever being played. The only trouble was it was so damned catchy (aren't all the worst songs?) and, after I'd get home at whatever o'clock in the morning my head would be full of "Get ready for this...Der der der DA"!

3 Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine - After The Watershed - #11 - Oct 1991

Funnily enough I can't remember this song AT ALL but I did quite like CTUSM especially "Sheriff Fatman" and "The Only Living Boy in New Cross"

4 Don McLean - American Pie (re-issue) - #14 - Oct 1991

Out of all the songs that were out when I turned eighteen this is the one that resonates the most. I first bought a Don McLean tape when I was fourteen and I used to listen to it on my Walkman at night, with the duvet over my head. I loved American Pie and Castles in the Sky and Vincent. In fact I thought Vincent was probably the saddest song I'd ever heard (and I didn't even know then that it was about Vincent Van Gogh!).

Anyway, when I left school "American Pie" was like our year's anthem and when we had our leavers ball this was the last song of the night. Everyone put their arms around each other (even people who didn't like each other or who had bullied each other) and we formed one big massive circle and sang this song at the top of our lungs. Many, many tears were shed.

5 Alison Moyet - This House - #40 - Oct 1991

This is when I come out as a closet Alison Moyet fan. It wasn't very cool to like Alison Moyet back in 1991 but I absolutely adored her voice - the power, the tone, the emotion. I liked her because she wasn't singing cheesy pop tunes she was singing songs that she seemed to pour her everything into. I absolutely love her versions of "The Man I Love" and "Almost Blue" from her Voice album. One of the highlights of last year was going to see her in "Smaller" with Dawn French.

God I'm such a nerd. I do own some 'cool' (whatever that means) music too, honestly!

Okay - I tag anyone who fancies giving this a go. Yes, you too can cringe as you re-live your teens! Let me know if you do it.

p.s. 800'ish words of the novel written tonight which is good as the last couple of days were...er...not exactly prolific. Still on target for my 15 July deadline though and the average I need to write a day has now dropped to 531 words a day to reach 90,000 words. The only trouble is...I've done a rough calculation of the number of scenes left and the probably number of words each will contain and I reckon this novel is heading for around 95,000 words if not more.

I've done the calculations on YWriter and if the novel is 95,000 words I need to write 693 a day to finish by 15 July (definitely do-able) and if the novel is 100,000 words I need to write 854 words a day to finish by 15 July (still do-able but more tricky if I miss a day). Anyway, onwards - the novel has to be finished, no matter how long it ends up being!

2 comments:

SallyQ said...

Great memories, Cally. I love those Don McLean songs too! My dad is a big Buddy Holly fan so it was law to like American Pie on our house! And Castles in the Air is such a beautiful song. I love Alison Moyet too. I've got her greatest hits album.

No, I've never got the Reeves and Mortimer humour either, so you're not alone there.

ChrisH said...

Oh, I haven't seen this music tag so might give it a go when I'm clearer about novel 2. Well done on nearly completing your book. yes, I found the last couple of chapters trickier because, like you, I wanted to make sure all the loose ends were tied up satisfactorily. Still, you're nearly there. Good luck.