Thursday, 28 June 2007

To blog or not to blog?

A US agent has advised blogging authors to keep quiet about which publishers their agent is submitting their novel to and the kind of feedback they've received from publishers - rejection, criticism etc.

And that's got me to thinking... as aspiring (or, in some cases, published) authors should we try and keep our blogs clear of negativity, writing struggles and rejections? If a potential agent or publishing house googles you and reads about your writing struggles might that put them off taking you on?

The blog is here:

http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2007/06/mums-word.html

3 comments:

liz fenwick said...

Thanks for the link.......

SallyQ said...

It's a tricky one isn't it? I try to keep the public moans to a minimum, but surely it's a normal part of writing to receive rejections and we'd be misleading newbie writers by pretending otherwise.

On the other hand, I've seen blogs where it seems (to me) that too much information is given; about a writer's dealings with agents and editors or other writers. I try never to criticise editors or competition judges.

I must admit though, that if I got an agent or publishing deal, it would be very hard for me not to want to tell the whole world.

Hera said...

Heya!
No I'm sorry I didn't get down to hear your piece. I've had a bit of a dicky tummy (no sympathy I love staying home with Jeremy). I'm gutted looked like a really good night. Will keep up with your blog for future action. Well done on all your recent good news!