Monday, 6 August 2007

Another text competition

I spent my weekend renouncing evil, chanting aloud with others and watching a small child get drenched with water by a man in dress.

Yep, I went to a christening. And very lovely it was too (I would say that, the small child was my 'if-she-was-any-more-cute-she'd-explode' niece). It's the shame t'internet can be such a nasty perverted place or I'd post a photo.

Anyway, back to to the writing - er, sort of, as I still haven't written anything and haven't started my editing yet but the old brain is ticking over and the itch to write is getting stronger so it's only a matter of time. In fact, all I might need is a little comp like the one below to get me writing again. Why don't you give it a go too?

Txt Crime competition

Closes: 31st August 2007
Fees: £1 for one entry. Plus the cost of a standard text.
Prizes: £50 for first place. Prize is at least £50. More depending on the competition's popularity.
Details: The UK's easiest to enter writing competitions. Micro stories up to 154 characters on the theme of crime. Enter by phone.
Contact: To enter, from your mobile phone text crime followed by a space and then your micro-story in no more than 154 further characters to 88010.
Country: United Kingdom
Website: http://txtlit.co.uk

NB: I haven't checked how legit this competition is so make sure you check it out before you spend money on it.

Edited to add: I received an email in response to this post from Kieran O'Donoghue (of txtlit.co.uk) to reassure me that the competition is completely legit. His response here:

"Thanks for your mention of the txtlit.co.uk competitions on your blog. I’d like to reassure you that the competition is legitimate, but I guess I won’t be able to really do that until we have posted the first winning entry and details of the author on the website. That said, it’s only £1 to enter.

The idea for txtlit.co.uk was born from the desire to see people use proper English in all forms of written communication whilst exploiting the capabilities of modern technology. I think people will be surprised at how much information can be crammed into 155 characters.

I hope you give the competition a try (or two). As you point out in your blog, it’s a great way to at least write something, and just those few words could be the spark to spawn an epic novel. It’s completely anonymous. The only information I will have of the author is their mobile phone number, so the result will be judged purely on writing ability."

Thanks for getting in touch Kieran.

3 comments:

A. Writer said...

I'd be tempted to try this text competition. Sounds like it could be fun! I'll check it out! Thanks for letting us know about it!

A. Writer said...

I've nominated you for the Creative Blogger Award. See my blog for details!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

It does sound like fun - won't be entering myself as (a) don't write crime and (b) am trying to concentrate on my novel (yeah, yeah, blogging doesn't count, OK? ;-)) but I'll forward it to a couple of people I know who might be interested.