Saturday, 18 August 2007

I broke my own editing rules!

Oops, after claiming on this very blog that I was going to read my novel all the way through without editing I...er...cheated! The first two chapters were bothering me so much I HAD to go back and have a go at re-writing the first chapter.

I spent AGES on it - I even bought a 'natural voice' reader* so I could listen to it back and hear how it sounded. After a few hours I thought, okay, that's it. I can't take this any further, time to bite the bullet and submit it to my novel critique group.

I was POOING myself as I waited for their feedback. NO ONE has seen my opening chapter (apart from Vanda at http://www.writespace.co.uk/ who critiqued the first 3 chapters many moons ago) and I had no idea whether it was any good or not.

After a nail-biting wait of several hours the critiques were all in - they really liked it and thought it was funny. Oh thank god. I can't begin to tell you how relieved I was. There were a few constructive comments that I need to work in but, overall, it was very, very good feedback.

Now of course I'm stressing about whether or not chapter 2 is any good or if they'll find it a bit of a disappointment after chapter 1!

But first, I MUST finish my read-through (and finish the short story I started a few days ago).

* It's a piece of software that reads out text. You can get the computer voice version for free or pay extra for a 'natural voice'. I paid about £20 for one natural voice. The one I chose was 'Audrey' a UK female voice (you can also get UK male). The site is here - http://www.naturalreaders.com/

2 comments:

JJ said...

Cally, I just have to say that I'm unbelievable impressed with your output: you work, you write short stories,you're writing a novel, marketing your boyfriend's band, you find untold numbers of weird and wonderful writing related websites.
I just want to check out, how many hours are there in your day?
Keep it up, I love the links.
JJx

CTaylor said...

JJ - there aren't enough hours in the day for everything I have to do and everything I want to do!

I guess I've always been the impatient type and I just want to get the novel finished and polished so I can move onto the next one (although I am aware I've really neglected my short story writing recently and really want to redress that).

I dunno - there's so much I want to write and so much I need to learn about the craft of writing I just can't stop!

Will keep the links coming as I discover them.

Thanks for your encouraging comment. I appreciate it :o)