Thursday, 13 September 2007

Cutting ruthlessly

Well, I finally managed to do some editing tonight - a couple of thousand words anyway and have just started chapter eight (of thirty-one chapters!). I'm cutting ruthlessly and the total word count has already dropped nearly 3,000 words already (from the original novel length of 100,000 words). It's currently 96,566 words long.

I'm hoping I won't need to cut quite so heavily in the rest of the novel or I'm going to end up with a total word count of less than 80,000 words at this rate! Originally I aimed to write a 90,000 word novel so if I drop another 6,000 words that's okay. In fact, as long as the novel is over 80,000 words that's okay too. The thing to do now is to 'cut the crap' and worry about how long the novel is later.

More editing tomorrow...

No comments: