Thursday, 13 September 2007

Editorial services

A quick post because I'm going to spend this evening doing some editing (at last!). Feels like forever since I last looked at my novel.

Anyway, I said I'd list the editorial services that comes most highly recommended. If you've finished your book and edited it within an inch of its life you may want to get a second opinion via an editorial agency. They don't come cheap however. The average price for a 70,000-100,000 word novel is £350-£450. For that you'll normally get feedback on the structure of your novel, characterisation, plot, opening, endings etc and, if you pay for the full package, advice on typos and grammatical errors.

Some of the people I know that have used these agencies have only done so after they've received a handful of rejections from agents (with standard rejection slips) and have no idea where they went wrong. Some of those people re-wrote their novel based on the advice they'd received, re-submitted it to some more agents and finally got signed (and published). Some still aren't published. One thing you should bear in mind is that the advice you receive is subjective - only one person will read your book and give you feedback. One thing I am pretty sure of, however, is that they will be a published author or have experience in the publishing industry. You should also prepare yourself for criticism (as well as praise) where appropriate.

It all really depends on you and whether or not you can afford it and if you think it's worth it. Anyway, the editorial agencies that come most highly recommended are:

The Writers Workshop

Hilary Johnson Authors' Advisory Service

Cornerstones

The Literary Consultancy

Right, I'm off to order my copy of:



Hopefully, when it arrives it'll give me the kick up the bum I need to pull my finger out and work as hard on my editing as I did on the first draft!

No comments: