Saturday, 29 September 2007

Psychic or co-incidence?

Yesterday I took a taxi from the train station to my flat. Nothing unusual about that - I do it several times a week. But yesterday, as I sat in the back and pulled on my seatbelt (as I do every time I'm in a car), I started to think about the mechanics of a seatbelt, about how far I'd lurch forward if the car was involved in a crash. I noticed how close the seatbelt was to my neck and wondered what sort of damage might be done to my neck if I did lurch foward - would it cut my neck or just hurt?

About seven minutes later...

a car pulled out in front of us causing the taxi driver breaked sharply to avoid hitting it. I fell forward but the seatbelt stropped me from crashing into the seat in front of me, and dug into my neck (but didn't break the skin). No one was hurt and there was no collision. It was the first time that had ever happened to me in a taxi (and I've never been involved in any kind of car accident).


So, psychic or co-incidence? I'm thinking the latter.

9 comments:

HelenMH said...

All premonitions could be put down to coincidence, but it's still quite spooky isn't it? I once had a dream that something awful had happened, and when I woke up in the morning and turned the television on - it had - and the scenes on televison were so similar to the scenes in my dream! Very scary!

Leigh said...

I was once in a car that was knocked off the M1 by a HGV. We rolled down the embankment and landed upsidedown facing the wrong way, but the only injury was my badly broken arm (never, ever, hang your arm out of a car window).
On the way home from hospital, our taxi driver was doing eighty in the fast lane with no seatbelt on. He said he was exempt. As a precocious teenager I felt compelled to point out that a seatbelt had just saved my life and suggested that he put his on.
He did, but I ask you. Survival of the most intelligent, or what?

CTaylor said...

Wow Helen yours really DOES sound psychic. What had happened?

HelenMH said...

It was the shooting of PC Sharon Beschenivsky in Bradford. In my dream I saw the city centre shut off, the yellow and black 'scene of crime' tape, the armoured police vans and knew someone had been shot. When I woke up and saw it all on the breakfast news - I was so freaked out!

HelenMH said...

Oh, and my ex-husband used to be able to tell who the next person in a room who was going to die would be. Grounds for divorce in itself I think!

CTaylor said...

Leigh - good god you were lucky to survive that one. And yes, definitely survival of the most intelligent!

Helen - wow, that's freaky. Do you live in Bradford? (it's even more freaky if you don't!) and your ex-husband's..er...talent is downright scary. SO wouldn't want to be in a room with him!

HelenMH said...

No, I don't live in Bradford. And I can't think of any reason why I would have had that dream - except good old coincidence! And my ex-husband's talent did have me running for the hills. It's just not the kind of thing you want to know is it?

CTaylor said...

Helen - there's definitely a short story (or even a novel) in your ex-hubbies abilities. And the fact that you don't actually live in Bradford makes your premonition ever more weird. Have you had many other premonitions?

HelenMH said...

Fortunately that's the only premonition I've ever had! It's enough to freak me out for a lifetime though!