Sunday, 30 September 2007

Talk about leaving it to the last minute!

I promised myself, when writing and editing this novel, that I wouldn't let my short story writing slip - that I'd still write at least a short story a month.

Last month I managed to write a 1,500 word story but this month... well... day after day slipped by and I just couldn't find the motivation or the time to write a story. When I woke up today I looked at the date - 30th September - last chance to write a story or have a big ZERO in my 'numbers of stories written' log for the month.

I had a few story ideas to choose from but I really wasn't in the mood to write anything dark or depressing (how unusual!) so decided to write something light-hearted instead. BUT... no light-hearted short story ideas in my notebook. I decided to have a look at the short story competitions that are closing in the next few months instead. Was there one with a theme I could write a story for? I ummed and ahhed over a few competition and, just as I was about to give up, an idea for one of the themes popped into my head.

It took a couple of hours to get it down, but I did it - a completed short story at just under 1,000 words and I'm happy with it and going to send it off tomorrow.

Phew. So that's it for short stories for a while (until 31st October anyway ;o))

Edited to add: And some more editing done tonight. I really wanted to get at least 50% of the second draft of the novel done by the end of this month and I have - 53.7% done.

1 comment:

HelenMH said...

Well done you! I can relate to the lack of light-hearted story ideas. I'm just about to start on my third story on the theme of accidental murder. I'm not sure what that says about me - and that's before I even start on my ex-husband's little party trick!