Monday, 1 October 2007

I have decided not to be a complete masochist/idiot...

I'm not going to try and write a children's book in 30 days to enter into the Times competition.

With a full time job, half a novel to edit and short stories to write and sub I'd be a total idiot if I tried to write a children's book aswell. Even if I dropped the novel editing and stories for a month, writing 30-40,000 words and editing them before 7th November would be a near impossible task (especially as I'll be on holiday for one of those weeks) and would possibly cause a nervous breakdown (mine and everyone around me).

One thing at a time Cally, one thing at a time...

I need to keep repeating that mantra to myself.

8 comments:

HelenMH said...

Wise move Cally. Everyone needs to recharge their Kryptonite every now and then!

Lane said...

Snap Cally. There's only so much you can do:))

SallyQ said...

Yes, you're probably right, Cally. We can only put so much pressure on ourselves before we crack.

KayJay said...

I was so impressed when I heard you were going to attempt it! But I agree, it's not worth slogging your guts out when you've got so many other irons in the fire. I sometimes think that starting a new project is another version of washing the kitchen floor...you know you should knuckle down and finish your old project first!

Are you still going to develop the idea sometime?

JJ said...

Fab photo Cally.
Jjx

A. Writer said...

Love that photo!

Glad to hear you've stopped putting so much pressure on yourself. :)

Helen said...

I agree. I too was going to do it, thinking a children's story wouldn't take much editing (why would I think that?!). Now I know editing is going to take a looonnng time I'm going to concentrate on that so I can aim to get my novel finished by the end of the year.

Kate.Kingsley said...

Well done ~ now can you teach me how to be that sensible too, please?! :-)

Kate K