Wednesday, 31 October 2007

The power of words

I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of Dina Rabinovitch until I read the news of her death on someone else's blog earlier today. I followed the link they posted to The Guardian where Dina wrote a column about her battle with breast cancer.

Deeply moved by the first column I read, I went back and read through the archives. By the time I'd finished reading I felt shellshocked and heart-broken. I felt like I had to do something so I donated some money to the cause Dina was raising money for. It feels like such a small, empty gesture and, like so many things you do after someone has died, it felt like it came too late but I hope it will go some way towards the £100,000 Dina was trying to raise for clinical trials into breast cancer.

It is Dina's legacy that her story, and her words, were so powerful they inspired a total stranger to try and help, even after her death.

You can read Dina's story here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/dinarabinovitch

and donate here: http://www.justgiving.com/dinaspage

Thank you to the blogger who posted about Dina. Maybe if we all blog about this, if we all raise awareness in the blogging community, maybe that £100,000 total can be reached, or exceeded. If enough money is raised maybe the clinical trials that Dina cared so desperately about can prevent other women from dying of this terrible disease.

1 comment:

Lane said...

Like you I read back and when I got to her last blog post with the photo of her hat, I crumbled.

Donation done.