Wednesday, 7 November 2007

Bits and Bobs

I had no idea I hadn't blogged since Sunday - where have the days gone?

So, I haven't blogged about writing or editing for a while so I'd better mention them. Since Sunday I've:

1) Edited a short story (the one that had pace problems) and sent it off to an anthology
2) Written a 300 word flash for the 'your messages' project (http://writeyourmessages.blogspot.com/)
3) Written a 150 word flash for Mslexia's latest flash call - Electricity (just need to take another look at it and see if it needs editing before I send it off)
4) Started a short story...and abandoned it (it felt too forced)

And, um, that's it. Oh...I lie...I've also been thinking about writing a lot and scribbling down ideas for the Eurofiction competition. The first set of prompts went up on the website last Thursday and I've been racking my brains for ideas ever since. If you're curious the three prompts were:
  • A story titled "The Interview"
  • A story containing the line "I knew I shouldn't have given her my phone number"
  • A showing the top card of a pack of cards - the Jack of Hearts

The abandoned short story I mentioned above was a response to the second prompt. I didn't want to write something obvious (like a story about a guy who meets a girl in a club and she turns out to be a stalker/lunatic) so took a slightly different approach but it all just felt too self-conscious and I knew that if I forced the story out if wouldn't work. I've now had an idea for the first prompt which also isn't an obvious interpretation but it's a story that should actually be quite fun to write (because that's what writing should be about right? Fun. Sometimes it's easy to forget that).

So yes, I've got the idea. Now I just need to write it!

I've haven't done any more editing of the novel (or work on the children's book) but something I realised while I was on holiday was that I put far too much pressure on myself when it comes to writing and sometimes you should just write what you feel like writing. And this week I've mostly felt like writing flashes and scribbling down ideas. Tomorrow I'm going to do a bit of novel editing and on Sunday I'm going to write my Eurofiction entry. That's quite enough for one week I think!

2 comments:

Leigh said...

This is ever so good, Cally. I hope you've been eating properly!

HelenMH said...

I totally agree. Sometimes you just have to write what you feel like writing even if it doesn't fit any of the boxes you're trying desperately to tick!