Thursday, 1 November 2007

On finding the right voice...and bad timing...

On Monday night, just as I'd settled into bed, I had an idea for a story and, all of a sudden, the opening popped into my head.

I had the voice, the tone, the mood and that 'ooh' feeling you get when you just know that if you sit down and start writing the story you won't stop until it's done (my most successful short stories have come out this way but, unfortunately, such magical moments are few and far between, more's the pity). It was 2am, I was dog-tired and all I had to hand was my mobile phone. I tapped as much as I could into the notes section of my phone and then ran out of space. I was torn. Did I get up, seize the moment and write it (and make it through a day at work with 3-4 hours sleep) or go to sleep (I'd only had 5 hours sleep the night before and had to get up at 7am)? I'm ashamed to say I went to sleep. And I dare call myself a writer!

Now my only option is to transcribe my mobile phone story opening and hope like hell that I can recapture the mood/tone/voice and write the story. All I have to do is find a way to re-capture the magic. Easier said than done unfortunately *sigh*.

7 comments:

HelenMH said...

Even writers need sleep!!!

JJ said...

But when it comes like that, isn't it wonderful? Brilliant news - hope you capture it all again.

JJx

KayJay said...

Yep, that's happened to me too and I also went to sleep...

Some of my amazing night-time ideas do seem a bit crappy in the clear light of day, however. A bit like those dreams that seem so vivid and exciting at 4am, then pretty humdrum when you wake again at 8am. I'm sure it's not the case with you though!

Sometimes you've just got to give in to the muse, and sometimes the snores!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh, it's so annoying isn't it? I always get good ideas when I'm dropping off to sleep - I've got a notebook by the bed that's full of illegible scribbles where I'm trying to capture those elusive ideas...
Hope it all comes back to you in full technicolour glory!

Lane said...

Doesn't it always happen like that:-(

I used to have a little voice recorder thing but I felt such a dork using it (and speaking quietly late at night) that I gave up:-(

Hope it all comes back to you in technicolour:-)

Lane said...

ooh seem to have used Lucy's words! Sorry, sorry:-)

CTaylor said...

Helenmh - very, very true. I think I made the right decision.

JJ - I hope so too! Fingers crossed.

Kayjay - I know what you mean. Every started telling someone about the amazing dream you had last night only to find that it gets a bit, er, crap in translation? I do that all the time!

Lucy - I wish you could tap into that falling asleep inspiration at more convenient times of the day!

Lane - oooh, my new mp3 player has a voice recorder. I'll have to keep that by the bed as well as the mobile phone!