Thursday, 29 November 2007

Typical!

I'd printed out 95/345 pages of my novel when I heard an ominous beep, beep, BEEP noise. I glanced at the printer.

"Out of yellow ink," it said.

I shrugged. "So what? I'm not printing my novel out in yellow I'm printing it out in black."

PRINT.

"No," said the printer. "I'm out of yellow ink. Replace the yellow cartridge and then, and only then, will I print out your novel in black."

"But that doesn't make sense. The black ink cartridge is full. It doesn't matter that the yellow one is empty because...YOU'RE NOT GOING TO USE IT."

"Don't care," said the printer. "I'm not going to print any more of your novel and that's that."

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

I feel an early morning ink cartridge shopping trip coming on. That's if I haven't kicked the printer to death first.

4 comments:

Leatherdykeuk said...

Ha!
Wonderful.

I had to read that one out to my partners. It is exactly the tone and behaviour of my printer.

womagwriter said...

Take out the yellow cartridge, give it a violent shake and re-insert, so the last dregs of yellow ink get to the bottom. Make sure the printer isn't watching while you do this. Hopefully you'll be able to fool the blasted thing!

SallyQ said...

The tyranny of the printer, eh? What womagwriter said tends to work. But I swapped my colour printer for a laser printer, since I only really need black ink.

CTaylor said...

Leather - What is it with printers? Why the attitude problem!

Womag/Sally - tried that. Didn't work!