Saturday, 15 December 2007

The other good news...

A couple of days ago I mentioned some wonderful news I'd received via email that I couldn't announce because I'd been sworn to secrecy, but now I can...

Sarah Salway and Lynne Rees have a book out next year called Messages. To quote their blog:

"When we started the Messages Project in 2003, it was all about our shared passion for writing and the creative process. We devised a simple formula over coffee one day. Using email, we would exchange 300 ‘messages’ of exactly 300 words, with each one returned within a time limit of 72 hours. Links between each message were made with words, themes, character, form, or even mood. The project took eighteen months to complete and the original Messages was published in July 2006."

In November this year they started the Write Your Messages project. Every day for 30 days they posted one of the messages from their book on their blog http://writeyourmessages.blogspot.com/ and invited writers to respond to that message with their own 300 word response. The best responses at the end of the 30 days would be selected by Lynne and Sarah for inclusion in a booklet to be published by Bluechrome and sold for charity.

I read the messages every single day (and many of the responses) and contributed 6 of my own 300-word responses during the course of the month and...

Two of my messages have been selected for publication!

I really enjoyed the Messages project and desperately wanted to be a part of the final publication so I'm dead chuffed to have two flashes in it. There's a launch party at the end of January that I'll be going to and...casting a quick eye over the other contributors...it looks like lots of fellow bloggers could be going too. So excited! Who's going?

12 comments:

Cathy said...

See you at the launch, Cally!

I'm so excited about this as it is the first time my work will be in print.

Cx

SallyQ said...

Oh well done again, Cally! You really are on the up and up!

Because I was doing NaNo I never got involved in the Messages project, so I'm hoping they'll do it again sometime.

Lane said...

Well done Cally. Great news!

bob said...

Wow, a 33% hit rate on YourMessages and an agent-in-waiting. You're a star! Many congratulations. Looking forward to meeting you on the 31st.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Well done you!
I got one of mine in, too.

Sarah Dunnakey said...

I'll be there Cally. Really excited about it and so chuffed to have had one of my pieces chosen. Can't wait to see the book when it is published.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I knew what it was when you dropped your hint, because I too had one of those emails, but thought I'd better not comment straight away in case I let the cat out of the bag. Well done - two picked out of six contributions - that's fab! I did a 'message' every day but for me it was writing practice, I wrote and posted rather than thinking and editing, so I was surprised they chose one of mine, particularly as I'd already told them I wouldn't be able to go to the launch because of the anonymity issue. I'm really sorry to miss it, I'm sure it will be a fascinating and fun occasion, so please would you blog it for me afterwards?

Sarah Dunnakey said...

Sorry in the excitement of it all I forgot to say 'Well done!' on getting two of your pieces picked. you must be double chuffed. What a fab couple of weeks you've had.

KayJay said...

Well done to all who had something picked! How exciting. It looked like a great project and I would have loved to have given it a go but it just happened at the wrong time for me. I managed to read a few of them and I was sooo impressed...it's such a skill to write those flashes. Huge congrats.

Cally - you are riding a wave of all things good! Long may this continue!

Leigh said...

Well done, Cally.
It's gonna be strange meeting blogging-buddies!
See you there!

Sarah*G* said...

Well done Cally! Fabulous news.

womagwriter said...

Well done, brilliant news!