Saturday, 15 December 2007

When life almost imitates art

I've finished all my Christmas shopping, wrapped all the presents and ASDA are turning up with the food tomorrow (hooray for internet shopping). Just one thing left to sort out...the Christmas tree...

I was supposed to wait for someone to come and help me get it down from the attic but, because I'm the impatient sort, I thought I'd try and get it down myself earlier this afternoon. I propped up the step ladder under the hatch and climbed to the top. I slid the hatch to one side and peered around. There was the tree, about three feet away from the hatch. I should probably mention now that I've never gone up into the attic before because the step ladder is too short and I don't have the arm power to pull myself up. What I normally do is climb up to the top step and slide things in so they're within arms reach of the hatch.

Today, being desperate to get my tree, I thought maybe, just maybe, I could stand on the very top of the ladder (the bit that has a big warning sign on it saying do not stand on this) and haul myself in.

I stepped...

I lifted myself up a bit...

I put my weight on my arms...

and then...

the step ladder wobbled beneath me

and I thought "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, what the hell am I doing?"

There's a bit in novel #1 involving the main character, something in the attic she desperately wants and a wobbly step ladder. And it doesn't end happily ever after.

I decided to abandon the tree and stepped, slowly, back down the step ladder. They say life imitates arts but I certainly don't want my life to imitate my book (you'll know why if it ever gets published).

Still think the living room looks empty without the tree though.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

This is the perfect opportunity to ask a nice man to help, fluttering your eyelashes and flicking the hair back from your face. Don't be proud. The tree'll be worth it!!!!

It will be all write said...

I have every confidence you'll get published. It's very, hard - really makes you appreciate published authors and the struggles they go through.

It is a very subjective game. But I believe (after a few glasses of Merlot) that true talent will always push through the literary maze.

And talent you have.