Saturday, 1 December 2007

Winding Down for 2007

There are only 31 days left in 2007 (including what's left of today). Good God. Where did the year go? The year is winding down and so am I. After lots of frantic novel editing, story writing and flashing (fiction) last month I've decided that December is going to be a much quieter affair.

I still have to write two short stories for Eurofiction before the year is up (one by 13th December and one by 27th December) but, other than that, I'm going to take it fairly easy.

I'm going to spend most of this month thinking and scribbling. All the advice I've read says that the best thing you can do when you've sent a novel to an agent is to get on with your next one and that's what I'm going to do. I've had an idea for my second novel for a while now but I really need to start thinking it through in more detail. I need to brainstorm it and scribble down every idea that comes into my head and then sketch out the plot and decide which POV I'm going to use - details that are all very much an unknown at the moment.

So, December = thinking month. January = writing month. A new novel, a new word counter, a new 'race'. Anyone else starting a new project in 2008?

3 comments:

Leigh said...

New project? Yes.
I made a really good start on no.2 novel after sending out no.1. Then baby came along, and I started writing shorties instead. Now no.1 has been returned (many times) to my tender care, I need to get it back out there, and get back on with no.2.

These are my ambitions for next year!

HelenMH said...

I think you really deserve to have a quiet December. You must be so pleased with what you've accomplished this year and excited about what you can do next year.

Jen said...

Sending off your MS rounds off your year brilliantly - you've achieved so much. Planning for your next literary adventure sounds the perfect round to spend December.

Conversely, I'm in a last-ditch attempt to get everything finished before the December ends. A change of tack for me next year - I'm picking up my OU dgree (French & Eng Lit) so, realistically, writing another novel will be out. Instead I'm going to concentrate on short stories and articles and getting myself out there. Little and often and extreme organisation is my key.

You know, I really get the feeling that you've established a firm writing foundation this year. You've sown your seeds and will reap the rewards as 2008 progresses. Yay, go Cally!