Monday, 7 January 2008

A change of plans

I wasn't planning on writing tonight as I had other plans but my stinking cold swiftly put an end to that. Instead I decided to fire up my laptop and have a peep at what I've written so far for novel #2...and ended up writing another 1,171 words.

I've stopped midway through what I think is a pretty heart-breaking scene. I don't know what it is about me but, at about the same wordcount in novel #1, something similarly devastating occurred (not the same thing but it still had a huge impact on the main character's happiness). I feel so moved I can't actually finish the scene! It's weird isn't it, a few blog posts ago I wasn't in love with my main character and now I'm having difficulty ruining her life because I don't want to hurt her and the other character I've introduced! I guess I fall in love fast.

Part of me thinks I should plough on with the scene while I'm feeling the mood and the other half thinks it's a good place to leave it so I've got a good scene to finish the next time I write. Hmmm...am going to have dinner and see how I feel in half an hour.

Current word count: 4,317 / 100,000 (4.3%)

9 comments:

Emerging Writer said...

That is so weird. I'm exactly the same. I just wrote and rewrote a highly intense, emotional, crucial scene and I was sobbing by the end. It completely wiped me out. I had to go and watch drivel on TV to recover. Glad it's not just me.

A. Writer said...

It's amazing how intense writing can be. I've blubbed through parts of my Novel. The characters become so real that you don't want anything bad to happen to them. Probably like being a parent! lol!

Yvonne said...

That's amazing, if you're moved no doubt your readers will be too. And your word count is great. Keep up the good work!

HelenMH said...

You do fall in love with your characters fast! But writing-wise that's obviously a really good thing!

Wayne said...

Well, I don't have a published novel yet, but I sure know the feeling you're talking about. I'm doing something at the minute that needs me to destroy a beautiful family, and I've put it down for awhile . . .

SallyQ said...

It sounds as though you've really connected, Cally. Well done! I've often got emotional whilst writing. It's painful but also leads to great creativity.

CTaylor said...

Emerging writer/A. Writer - glad I'm not the only one. When I was editing novel #1 I cried twice (even though I knew what was coming because I'd written it!).

Yvonne - I hope you're right. I know it's awful but I'd love it if something I'd written moved someone to tears!

Helenmh - I know. I'm horribly fickle! ;o)

Wayne - thanks for popping by leaving a comment, much appreciated. Oooh, destroying a beautiful family, that sounds horrible (but great, if you know what I mean!)

SallyQ - I think you're right. If you're not emotional about what you've written you're probably working on auto and not properly connecting with your work.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I wrote far too much nice stuff happening to my characters in my first draft (not all by any means - but definitely too much). By the third draft, when I was thoroughly frustrated and fed up with the lot of them, I found it much easier to torture, maim and kill!

SallyQ said...

LOL Zinnia!

I once tried to write a romance novel. By chapter two I was so sick of my two saccharine characters I dropped the whole idea.