Friday, 25 January 2008

Mememememememememe (Six things)

Is it called a meme because it's all me, me? No idea, but I was tagged by JJ and Sally so I'd better do it. Luckily it's not as long as the last one (and it might push it off the end of this page so it won't look like I spend all my time filling out memes!).

Anywhoo.... here we go...

The small print: Link to the person that tagged you. Post the rules on your blog. Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself. Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs. Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on his/her website.

1. I was nearly expelled from sixth form for my messiness, refusal to wear the correct school uniform and general 'bad attitude' (I blame hormones. I was a perfect student before I turned sixteen).

2. I'm a compulsive hoarder. I find it really, really hard to throw things away.

Christmas cards from six years ago?

Yep, still got 'em.

Presents I don't like given to me by people I love?

I keep 'em all.

Writing magazines from two years ago that I think I might go back and consult again (but never do).

A huge box full.

It just goes on and on. I find it soooooooo hard to throw things away but, because I'm moving house at some point this year, I'm trying hard to be strong. Last week I had a huge breakthrough when I gave a charity shop a suede jacket I bought when I was 18 (and haven't worn since). That jacket has moved house with me eleven times and I was determined it wouldn't move a twelfth time!

The strange thing is a huge parts of me wants to be all minimalist and zen-like and not form emotional attachments with material things but I can't help myself. I'm too sentimental.

3) My extended family is huge. I have no idea how many first cousins I have in total but think it's over 50 (my Grandmother on my mother's side had eleven children - and she wasn't even catholic).

4) When I was ten years old I had a couple of out of body type experiences and thought I was an alien for about six months.

5) I nearly drowned whilst white-water rafting in Nepal 2006. For several weeks afterwards I had recurrent nightmares that I was trapped in a small room and would wake up pounding my fists against the nearest window in an effort to escape.

6) You know how, when you're little, you'd get different awards for swimming a certain number of lengths? When I was eight our games teacher took us all out onto the sports field to try out for the throwing awards. The first award was Bronze - 10 metres. Child after child stepped forwards, threw the ball and easily achieved the required distance.

I picked up the ball and chucked it as hard as I could.

3 metres.

I tried again.

4 metres.

Another go (kids started sniggering)

2.5 metres

"Okay," said the teacher. "Throwing overarm obviously isn't working for you. Why don't you try throwing underarm instead?"

Frustrated and close to tears I stepped up to the line, extended my arm behind me, swung it forward and threw it as hard as I could...

It curved beautifully through the air and landed ten metres...

BEHIND me.

I decided not to try out for the silver and gold awards.

Ahem. Okay, enough about my embarrassing past. I now have to tag six people. I'm not entirely sure who's completed this so, er, am going to have to guess who hasn't done it...

So I tag Sarah*G*, Lucy Diamond, Karen Clarke, L-Plate Author and Jude.

If I haven't tagged you and you want to do it consider yourself tagged!

[Edited to add: Oh dear, I just realised that this meme was supposed to be about querks/habits and not about random facts about me. Ah well, that'll teach me not to read the small print properly. Can't be bothered to rewrite it. Hmmm...that phrase sounds familiar.]

9 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Very entertaining - and thanks for not tagging me. Now go and recycle all those Christmas cards! Decluttering is wonderful, honest, try it, you might like it. I even gave around 150 books, yes books, away to charity last year. And I haven't missed a single one of them.

Lane said...

Poor you with the throwing:-( Lovely story though!

JJ said...

Very funny. It's very difficult to find six things about yourself you've not already obsessed about on the blog, eh?
JJx

L-Plate Author said...

Phew that meme was exhausting! I've never linked before so now I can!

Btw, my school cringe moment? I was 12 and represented the school at the local sports stadium in the 100 metre skipping race....and tripped over the rope half way along because me feet were going to fast and fell flat on me face. Came last to add insult to injury, in front of everyone!

KAREN CLARKE said...

I used to be a hoarder, but I'm getting better. I had to get rid of most of the wrting magazines I thought I'd Go Back To, recently, because they were taking over the house like Triffids :)

Leigh said...

Your tales of hoarding made me laugh and laugh. I am just the same. I even keep chocolates that I don't like (coffee creams, yuck), because there's nothing wrong with them, right, so I can't throw them away...but I know I'm never going to eat them.

I have recently begun a collection of 'magazines to go back to'. Mmmm.

And, sorry, I laughed until I cried when I read the bit about throwing. I was all right at throwing, but long jump was my downfall, literally. If I made it into the sandpit, that was good.

HelenMH said...

Good luck with the minimalism! I can't move for boxes in this house and I've been here three years. keep meaning to do a car boot ...

CTaylor said...

Zinnia - wow, that's a lot of books. I have given away quite a few books in the last few months but I'm sure there are plenty more I'll never read again.

Lane - I was traumatised at the time but can laugh about it now thank God!

JJ - I know what you mean. I'm sure I'll start repeating myself sooner or later.

L-Plate - Awwww. That reminds me of the time my dad took part in the running backwards race. He was winning and then stumbed and did a backwards rollie-pollie. I was so upset for him I started crying (he came last too).

Karen - writing mags are definitely Triffid like. I find them everywhere!

Leigh - I'm with you on the food hoarding thing! I take after my Mum. It drives my sister crazy and she goes through both of our cupboards exclaiming "This tin of peaches went out of date in 1999. Why the hell have you still got it?!"

Helen - I was the same..until I moved all the boxes up into the attic. There's 6 years worth of junk up there. I'm scared!

Moondreamer said...

Love these answers, you really made me giggle, Cally!

I still can't throw for toffee, even a stick for the dog (without endangering life and limb!)

I think hoarding might be genetic and I blame my Mum ... I thought Dad knew about her stash of material under the bed (some of which is older than I am!) so mentioned it in passing while out for lunch one day (incurring swift kick under the table!)

The first thing dad did when they got home was go upstairs and start pulling it all out, to see exactly how bad the situation was. When Mum mentioned there was more in the spare room, the garage and the loft, he quietly pushed it all back and said nothing more about it!

:o)