Well, it's only a piddling 187 words but it's my 187 piddling words.
I fired up YWriter about an hour ago and started entering character profiles for my main characters (seven at the current count). That in itself was useful as I hadn't totally thought through all the characters and being asked what each character's goal was (and what was at stake in order for them to achieve their goal) forced me to answer a few questions I hadn't previously been able to answer.
Openings are important (I can't properly get going until I've nailed the opening*) and I spent quite a long time typing out a sentence, deleting it, typing a new sentence and deleting it until finally I had an opening I was happy with. The opening needs to set the right tone for the novel, set the scene and pull the reader in. Nothing too heavy, not too much exposition, just a quick, easy introduction to my main character.
It's late so instead of forcing myself to carry on I'm going to leave the novel mid-scene so I've got a nice easy scene to complete when I come back to the novel tomorrow.
I entered the word count and completion date into the software - 100,000 words by 30 June (as I cut 10,000 words from novel #1 during editing I figured I should aim high to allow for choppage) - and apparently I have to write 561 words a day between now and then to achieve that. I like the sound of that. It means I've got a bit of lee-way. If I write 1,000 words in one day I could, in theory, take the next day off. That's the kind of schedule I like the sound of!
* of course the opening will probably change in the re-write but it has to be right for 'right now'