Sunday, 13 January 2008

The Rewrite

I was going to take a week off writing before I started my rewrite but, seeing as I hadn't actually read my novel since the end of November anyway, there didn't seem much point and I got started yesterday.

I've re-written nearly 4,000 words since then (roughly two chapters) and read and marked up the first 50 pages (lots of scribbles in the margin that say "waffle", "boring" and "make this funny"). It hasn't been easy but, because I'd already edited the first 3 chapters roughly 50 million times, there wasn't a huge about of rewriting to be done. Mostly I've been tightening the prose, cutting redundancy and repetition and working on making it more amusing.

My biggest challenge will be to rewrite chapters 4-31 (ha!) but there's no hurry.

My new motto: polish, polish, polish and when I think it's gleaming, polish some more.

10 comments:

HelenMH said...

Sounds like a good motto! I'll be thinking of you and willing you on!

Sarah*G* said...

Polish away! You can do it, I just now you can!

KayJay said...

The more I think about it, the more positive I feel the rewrite thing is. If I was an agent I'd want to put a new writer through their paces a bit before I took them on. After all, they need to know that you are up for the task, as an editor is certainly going to want to make some changes.

The fact that your guy is - by the sounds of things - a HUGELY sought after agent, means that he will have his pick of new writers to take on. He thinks you're worth a chance; that's pretty incredible!!

Caroline said...

Great news.
And you'll do it.
I think that you may have just passed a test of sorts.
Congratulations and keep going.
x

Sarah Dunnakey said...

Sounds like you've made a good start Cally, good luck with the rest

KAREN CLARKE said...

Talking of polishing reminds me there's housework to be done:(

Sounds like a good motto though - whatever happens you'll at least know you've done the very best you can!

SallyQ said...

Great motto, Cally. You'll soon have that novel gleaming :-)

I'm glad you're writing again too. I know you were feeling wobbly last week, but hopefully you see now how positive that phone call from nice Mr Agent was.

Lane said...

Great motto Cally. You sound really focussed. You always do. It makes me want to try harder:)

L-Plate Author said...

A bit of spit and polish never hurt anyone hun. Keep on going x

Leigh said...

Polishing? Great! You'll be really good at that by the time you've finished. So, if you get withdrawal symptoms, I can lend you my novel, or my house? Which d'you fancy?