Friday, 4 January 2008

You know you're a writer when...

Someone in one of my writing communities recieved this book for Christmas:



and posted a few examples from the book. They made me smile so much I had to reproduce them here (the last one is the best).

You know you're a writer when...

You'll never forgive your parents for your happy childhood

You have kept every letter you ever received and copies of every letter you've ever sent, for when you're famous

Something bad happens to a friend and you're glad she's not a writer, so you can use it

You watch your husband intently while he reads your pieces. When he laughs, you say "What part are you up to?"

You're at the movies when you get an idea for your novel, so you scratch it into the bottom of your popcorn cup with a car key

You read with a pen in your hand and scan the newspaper holding scissors

Writing is the only thing that makes you happy, and you hate writing.

9 comments:

JJ said...

Oh Cally, they're so true, particularly that last bugger!

Happy New Year.
JJx

SpiralSkies said...

Oh dear... those are too funny. Another book to buy then... sigh... :)

SallyQ said...

LOL. Good ones (though I must be one of the rare writers who doesn't hate writing. I love it!)

Thanks for sharing them, Cally. I'll have to get that book.

Sarah*G* said...

LMAO!

Thanks for those. Although I can't relate to the 1st one. Lucky for me as that is what I am drawing on for my book. So many random and bizzare things happened to and around me growing up (drugs, prostitution, divorce, emigrating, affairs, unrequited love, attempted murder, abduction, arson, true love...) that I just had to put it in writing!

Leigh said...

This is funny, Cally!
It's all true - except that I keep all my letters cos I'm a hoarder, and that I still enjoy writing; but perhaps I won't if it ever starts to earn me money!

Kate.Kingsley said...

"Writing is the only thing that makes you happy, and you hate writing."

I laughed out loud at this one, much to the consternation of the rest of the office!

Too, too true.....

Yvonne said...

Oh my God Cally they are brilliant! Especially the last one.

Sarah Dunnakey said...

Hurrah - if all this is true I'm a writer!

Especially like number 3 of which I am all too guilty (sorry friends!)

Caroline said...

Made me smile!
We are all the same :)