Thursday, 7 February 2008

Deadlines

I'm still taking part in Slingink's Eurofiction competition. Two weeks ago the prompts for Task 7 were released. I had a whole fortnight to write, edit, polish and submit my short story. Guess when I sent it in?

10 minutes ago (20 minutes before the deadline!)

I started writing at 5pm tonight and 2.5 hours (and 2,000 words) later and I've got a finished short story. Not edited I hasten to add but written and sent in.

Why do I keep doing that?

I think it's a mixture of laziness and the adrenaline rush I get from doing things at the last minute. I've been the same since I was a student and used to start my assignments the night before a 9am deadline and finish at 3 or 4am, fuelled only by diet coke, glucose tablets and desperation.

You'd have though I'd have grown out of it by now but no. Still doing it.

My last entry (Task 6) was written the night before the deadline and got me the highest score and best feedback I've received so far so maybe there's something in it? I'll let you know in 2 weeks time when I get my score!

6 comments:

Sarah Dunnakey said...

I don't believe the word 'lazy ' could possibly be applied to you Cally. Certainly not when it comes to writing anyway -you are an inspiration. Impressed that you are still keeping up with SlingInk Eurofiction- I didn't even manage the registering bit properly

HelenMH said...

Tslk about cutting it fine! I salute you!

A. Writer said...

I'm with Sarah - there's no way the word 'lazy' could be linked with you!

The amount of writing you do is amazing! I feel quite useless in comparison.

I love deadlines. I work better with them. I love sailing close to the wind.

Kirsty said...

Best of luck!:-)

Lane said...

Lazy? Pah. You're an adrenalin junkie Cally ... or maybe you just know you produce your best work under pressure:-)

JJ said...

Oooh, yes, I remember those days at university. Not nice. My time management skills are marginally better now (ie I can't stay awake so i have to do it during the day!)
JJx