Tuesday, 19 February 2008

Films 2008

Very quick review of the films I've seen recently:

Definitely, Maybe

Starring: Ryan Renolds, Rachel Weiz, Isla Fisher

Synopsis: Man tells daughter about his past using made up names (shown through a series of flashbacks). She tries to guess which one is her mother.

Verdict: Really very tedious and slow moving. Should have worked but really, really didn't. Possibly laughed out loud once.

Score: 3/10


Juno

Starring: Ellen Page, Michael Cera (he was in Superbad)

Synopsis: Sixteen year old girl gets pregnant and decides to put her baby up for adoption

Verdict: Excellent! Everything 'Definitely, Maybe' wanted to be but wasn't. It was superbly written, brilliantly acted and was funny, clever and touching. I really didn't think I'd like this but it's definitely my favourite film of the year so far.

Score: 9/10


Cloverfield

Starring: Lizzy Caplan, Jessica Lucas, T.J. Miller, Rob Hawkins (no, I'd never heard of any of them either!)

Synopsis: New York comes under attack from a giant creature.

Verdict: You know how some films inform you, others entertain you, others make you laugh, others scare you? This film did none of the above. It had one of the flimsiest plots I've ever seen. Creature attacks, people scream and run, army fires guns, people run back into the danger zone, they scream, they run, they die. The end. Oh yes and it's all filmed on a handheld camera so you feel a bit sick by the end. It was watchable though and I can't say I felt bored (mostly I was peering into the darkness trying to work out what was going on and who was speaking).

Score: 4/10

8 comments:

Yvonne said...

Thanks for that. I've seen Juno but not the other two films you've reviewed. My fella wants to see Cloverfield but so far I've managed to keep it at bay. Perhaps I'll send him on your review!

KAREN CLARKE said...

I'm going to see Juno with my daughter this week, and it does sound very good. Thought about Definitely Maybe but it's had lukewarm reviews all round, so I don't think we'll bother! Will probably wait for Cloverfield to come out on DVD and give it a whirl. Thought it would be good, because the writer also writes Lost, which I LOVE! Maybe he was having an off day...

Sarah*G* said...

I went out with hubby for Valentines day on Saturday (I know it was Valentine on Thursday!)
I had to choose between Definitely Maybe and Cloverfield. Opted for DM as thought more of a date movie. Not too bad but could have been condensed by about 45-60 minutes and would not have missed much.

Lane said...

I'll know which one to pick if I manage to get to a cinema in the near future. I'm a cheapskate and usually wait for the DVD:-)

Billy said...

I agree with every one of your reviews. You have a great blog. Very interesting. -:)

angelesque said...

Juno was absolutely fabulous! Interesting to see how Ellen Page is treated at the Oscars next week.

I have been totally sucked in by the marketing hype for Cloverfield and am really looking forward to seeing it, but am slightly apprehensive after reading your review!

Debs said...

Thanks for the reviews. I wasn't sure I liked the idea of watching Cloverfield with all that hand held camera business and now shan't bother but will go and see Juno.

CTaylor said...

Yvonne - Did you like Juno too? Cloverfield isn't AWFUL it's just, well, a bit same ol' same 'ol. One thing I forgot to mention is that the hand held camera technique makes you feel like you're there too which IS cool.

Karen - I had no idea that the writer of Lost wrote Cloverfield though that DOES explain why you never find out where the creature comes from or why (they do love unanswered question in Lost don't they!). Hope you enjoy Juno.

Sarah*G*: Yeah we saw DM for Valentine's day too and bickered afterwards about whose fault it was that we just wasted £7 on it! I blame him for telling me there was a 'great' romantic comedy out and he blamed me for agreeing to go. *laughs*

Lane - I don't blame you. I watch a ton of DVDs too but nothing beats seeing a film at the cinema in my opinion. Um, other that chocolate, sex, a beach holiday, sunshine...okay...lots of stuff beats it but you know what I mean!

Billy - thanks so much for visiting and commenting. I particularly welcome people who agree with my taste in movies ;o)

Angelesque - Oh nooo, don't let me put you off. One (wo)man's meat is another's poison and all that. It wasn't a terrible, terrible film by any means. It just didn't hugely impress me (I'm hard to please!). Also, my opinion OFTEN differs from other people's (see my review of I am Legend for proof!)

Debs - As I said to Yvonne the plus of the handheld camera is that it makes you feel like part of the action so don't let me totally put you off. Juno IS excellent though so if you're going to spend £7 (or whatever) on a cinema ticket at least you're guaranteed a good film (well, guaranteed if you have th same taste as me anyway!)