Sunday, 10 February 2008

The Photo Meme

I was thinking about doing the Photo Meme I've seen on various people's blogs but, as I read through the bits of info I was asked to illustrate with a photo, I got a bit worried.

The thing is, some of the answers you have to provide are the same as the info you enter for online banking or email companies when you've forgotten your password

e.g. Enter your place of birth
Enter the name of your first pet
etc.

Now maybe I'm being overly cautious (and this doesn't apply to people whose full names aren't disclosed on their blogs) but I don't think it's a great idea to give away all that information on the net.

Others may disagree but I just thought I'd put it out there. It's better to be safe than sorry about the info you post on the net.

10 comments:

Yvonne said...

That's a great point and fair play for making it. You can't be too careful these days.

HelenMH said...

I must admit, I hadn't attempted this one as it looks too technologically challenging for me! To be honest I probably wouldn't even have thought of the security aspect - so good to see you pointing it out x

A. Writer said...

I've taken mine down.

SallyQ said...

Yes, that is a good point, Cally. I often think that when similar things get sent around social networking sites like Facebook so I never fill them in.

Leigh said...

Ooh, now that'd be a good scam. Ha!

Leatherdykeuk said...

I concur. It's a phishing meme.

L-Plate Author said...

Gosh, you're way ahead of me. I hadn't thought of it either but like Helenh it's too challenging for me, luckily.

Thanks for pointing that out Cally, from the woman who has to unlock every door to let the dog out! x

Sarah Dunnakey said...

I was worried about that too Cally. I have done it but have made sure none of my answers would be of any use to phishers

KAREN CLARKE said...

God, I hadn't thought of that, Cally and I thought I was fairly cynical! Not sure any of my answers are any use, but I think I might take it down just in case.

Moondreamer said...

I hadn't thought of this at all, Cally, thank you!

I guess a lot of the questions are the sort of things we might use as passwords.

I've left mine up because I do nothing online (banking for example) that might be a problem, but I have put a comment on my post to suggest people read your concerns.

:o)