Tuesday, 12 February 2008

Public Lending Rights

There is talk on t'interweb that the Public Lending Rights (PLR) may be cut (i.e. the money paid to authors when their books are borrowed from a library). With the average author salary at £10,000 a year they need these funds to help top up their income.

I'm not a published author (yet) but, you know, I might be one day and you might be too (if you're not already!).

Petition to keep the PLR at their current levels. Sign here:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/plr-funding/

10 comments:

KAREN CLARKE said...

I tried this Cally, but annoyingly the deadline was the 11th. :o(

John Malam said...

Hi Cally,
Many thanks for flagging up the PLR petition. We all have to stick together on this one!
Kind regards,
John Malam
(petition creator)

JJ said...

Well, that makes me really cross. Because I'm a non resident, and not an expat on a select list of employers, I can't sign it!

Sorry, did try. JJx

Lane said...

Done (and well worth signing).
Thanks for this Cally.

angelesque said...

Signed...

L-Plate Author said...

What! I've dreamed about having that cheque every January for the past few years. How dare they burst my bubble. x

A. Writer said...

Signed! I'm also going to put a link to the petition on my blog.

A. Writer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Duly signed.

HelenMH said...

Blimey! As if life isn't hard enough for struggling writers!