Thursday, 28 February 2008

Rewrite (it's all downhill from here)

In a good way.

The great thing about progressing beyond 50% of the rewrite is that I've done more than I've got left to do (if that makes any sense). It's like the count down has begun.

For example, after tonight's mini rewrite sesh. I'm on 52% done, 48% left to do.

Watching that second figure decrease and decrease should spur me on to the end. Of course the downside is that I'm a bit tempted to rush through it.

But I can't do that.

I need to give the second half as much attention as I gave the first half. I still need to edit out the waffle, tighten the prose and make sure my chapters end with cliff hangers/hooks and that the chapters are well paced, pushing the reader on to get to the end (and the next cliff hanger). Of course not all my chapters have cliff hangers but I'm hoping there will be enough unanswered questions to keep the reader turning the pages. That's the plan anyway.

43,186 / 82,072 word rewritten (52.6% of novel)

2 comments:

L-Plate Author said...

Cally, that's a great comment. And it's really chuffed me up to. I have less to do than I have done! How great does that sound. Keep it up girl! x

HelenMH said...

The countdown has indeed begun - how exciting!