Friday, 7 March 2008

I grew something. I actually grew something!

But I have no idea what it is!

Last weekend I picked up a little 'grow your own herbs' pack (marjoram, chives, parsley, basil, thyme and coriander) and, because it was reduced and I was feeling unusually green fingers (I say unusally because I've never actually grown anything before apart from a few sad-looking daffodils in the garden), I thought I'd give it a go.

I successfully managed to add water to the brown disk in the pack and, lo and behold, it swelled into soil. Enough soil to put into each of the 6 brown pots, one pot for each different type of herb I was about to grow. I then managed to open the seed packets and sprinkle them into the pots. The instructions said to press them under the soil but considering some of the seeds were about a millimetre wide that was impossible and I had to improvise by covering them with a bit more soil.

Result. Done! Just sit back and wait for the herbs to grow...
And they have.

Well...
One pot has.

The only trouble is, because I didn't label any of the pots, I've got no idea what's growing!

Any ideas? I'm fairly certain it's not chives!

11 comments:

KAREN said...

Could be basil looking at the shape of the leaves? Well done anyway - I'm better at killing plants than growing them, unfortunately!

Leatherdykeuk said...

The first seed leaves are never the true plant leaves. You'll have to wait for the next set of leaves; then you'll be able to tell.

KAREN said...

Shows how much I know... :o)

Fiona said...

I thought it might be Basil too but then seedlings are like babies - they all look the same. Oh just eat them!

Lane said...

Whatever it turns out to be, it'll enhance your cooking:-)

Debs said...

I also think it may be basil but not at all sure. Well done though, it's exciting when something that you've planted grows.

A. Writer said...

Well done in growing something, anything! I bought that exact same set months ago and nothing happened! I ended up chucking it all away, although for some reason I kept the little pots and the plastic greenhouse thing. Well done!

Cal said...

Karen - I thought it looked like marjoram (from the picture on the packet) but who knows!

Leather - Ah, I didn't know that. That's really helpful, ta.

Fiona - I can't eat them yet, they're far too diddy!

Lane - absolutely. I'll just have to make sure I choose the appropriate herb for the appropriate dish. Or maybe just chop em all up and stick 'em in a spag bol ;o)

Debs - that's three votes for basil know. I'll let you all know when the second leaves come through.

A.writer - really? Did you water them after you'd planted them? It didn't say that on the packet but I figured dry soil + seeds = not good. Although then I worried I'd drowned them!

A. Writer said...

I didn't water them. I planted them and left them to it. lol!

Probably why they didn't grow.

The pots/plastic green house are still sitting on my windowledge - I think, deep down, I kept them in case I thought about getting more seed and trying again. Don't think it'll happen though.

HelenMH said...

No, not chives! But could be almost anything else!

womagwriter said...

I was going to say you can't tell from the first pair of leaves, too. Next pair might give some clues. Or rub a leaf gently and sniff your fingers...