Monday, 21 April 2008

Do you write like a woman or a man?

Here's another reason to procrastinate...

Cut and paste some of your novel/short story into this web page to find out if your writing style is male or female:

http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.php

I tried it with a few stories I'd written from a male first person POV to see how effective my attempts at 'writing like a man' were. Mixed results. It thought some of the stories were written by a man, but most of them it correctly guessed they'd been written by a woman. Apparently it's all down to your word choices (not sure how scientific it all is).

All my novels have female main characters (first person POV) and the software said they were written by a female...which was a relief ;o)

10 comments:

Tam said...

Oooh, now that was interesting! I posted an extract from my two comp entries, both written in first person female POV. The stalker tale came back female and the slightly sci-fi one came back male. Not sure what it means but it wasted a good five minutes!

Leigh said...

This was interesting.
My novel is written by a woman (phew), as were two shorties written from a male POV; but what I noticed (which means I'm getting something right - or nearly right) is that the balance was much closer on those two.
How very interesting!

KAREN said...

Interesting. Mine were all female! Funny how 'with' is a feminine key word, but 'what' is considered male. Or is it...?

Yvonne said...

I'll give that a go now! Just to let you know that I can subscribe to your feed again. Must have taken a while to move over from when you changed the blog address...anyway, I thought you might be interested!

Maddie Moon said...

Tch, a fella! They reckon my novel's written by a bloke. Not good, as it's meant to be chick-lit. As if I didn't have enough to worry about as it!

A. Writer said...

Hmm... I tried a chunk of book 2 - A first person female POV - and it came back as MALE! Not so good.

All my others came out female, which I'm pleased about.

HelenMH said...

Ooh I must try this. I write a lot from male POV - not sure why - so it'll be interesting to see what it makes of that!

liz fenwick said...

Great fun! It worked perfectly. My chapters from a male pov came out male and vise versa. What was interesting that stroppy 15 year old girl came out male!

Great link. Thanks!!

Jumbly Girl said...

That was a great link, thanks Cally. A chunk of my novel came out as female but with only a slighly lower 'male' score whichI'm hoping means its quite balanced (either that or its evry confused)

Quillers said...

A short story I put in came out female (even though it's science fiction) but my latest blog entry (which coincidentally is about male/female writing and attitudes towards the rules) came out male.