Sunday, 27 April 2008

Trains, Trains, Novel Racers!! Trains, Trains

This weekend I've mostly been on a train...and then another train...and then a train...followed by a train and a train.

Up to London on Friday night - 1 hr on train, 30 mins on tube

Saturday - 20 mins on tube, 3 hrs on train up to Manchester, 3.5 hours on train back to London (via Birmingham?!), 20 mins on tube

Sunday - 30 mins on tube, 2 hours on train back to Brighton (via Littlehampton, double the normal journey time due to engineering works).

Total time on trains or train-like things (tubes) = 11 hours and 10 minutes!

And now I'm home. At last. Hoorah!

I may moan about all the train journeying but it was a wonderful weekend. Filled my gob with Chinese food on Friday night and then exercised my gob with much nattering to fellow Novel Racers up in Manchester on Saturday.

It was wonderful (and slightly weird at first) to see so many familiar faces (and some not so familiar) in one place. At first, all seated around what felt weirdly like a conference table, we all stared at each other in bemusement but then wine (and vodka and beer) was drunk and toasted sandwiches and chips were eaten and coffee and cake (damn, missed out on the cake) was consumed and then all of a sudden six hours had disappeared *justlikethat* and it was time to go home again.

Thanks to the lovely L-Plate for making part of the train journey speed by.

Highlights of the day:


  • Caroline's erotic confession and boob fixation (not one and the same!)

  • Rowan signing my copy of her new book

  • AWriter and LPlate's question on the way back to the station (I'm saying no more)

  • Clare's gorgeous pregnant tummy

  • JJ's wonderful hairstyle (I am jealous of your curls)

  • LPlate's champagne surprise

  • Doing my 'pout' face for Caroline, seeing the resulting photo and realising it look more 'grumpy' than sultry

  • Tattoo admiration and discussion (still curious about the hidden one Juliette!)

  • Forgetting to ask Ellie about her ghost (not a highlight of the day, but something I meant to talk about and forgot)

  • Zinnia's brilliant financial advice (I WILL get that sorted, honest!)

  • And, mostly importantly, meeting and chatting to everyone! I wish there'd been time to chat more.
I want to do it all over again and am really looking forward to another meet up in London.

p.s. I've got photos but don't want to reveal the face of anyone who wants to remain anonymous so will probably stick them on Facebook.
[Edited to add: Some of the other novel racers have posted this group photo so I figured I could too, but I'm not saying who's who! :o)]

19 comments:

KAREN said...

Sounds wonderful! I'm rather jealous - apart from all those trains :o)

Maddie Moon said...

Glad you had a great time, Cal.

A. Writer said...

THAT question. Yes, come to think of it maybe I was slightly slow on the uptake ;)

It was a fab day and I am so pleased to meet you!

I can totally relate to your trains. Coaches are just as annoying! Near enough 14 hours. Eek!

Roll on the next meet! I'll be there for sure! Definitely!

HelenMH said...

I need to know what that question was!! Do tell x

Sarah*G* said...

I think I know what the question was. I think I do but am intrigued to know if I am right!

Caroline said...

It wasn't a fixation! It was envy!

At least I have proven my tit-being-ness to all ... well to a couple of you and then to the world via your blog!

:)

x

Calistro said...

Karen - It WAS wonderful :o)

Maddie - I did indeed.

AWriter - (Oooh, nearly wrote your name there!) It was lovely to meet you too. Gawd, the only thing worse that a train journey IMO is a coach journey. I can't read or do anything on coaches or I feel sick.

HelenMH - My lips are sealed (but I might tell you if we go on another Della course!)

Caroline - You weren't a tit at all. You were lovely! Although I said a couple of things during the meet that, thinking back, make me really cringe now. Must learn to think before I open my mouth!

L-Plate Author said...

Well I had a fab time and no one tells it like you! I laughed out loud at that post.

Oh it was so ace to meet all those people, you had it all down to a tee!

When can we do it again!

xx

A. Writer said...

Calistro - Tell me about it. I've almost boobed with names on blogs today! I stop myself in time though!

Coaches are okay. I've travelled a fair bit on them so I suppose I've got the coach equivalent to my sea legs! lol! You know what I mean...

Lane said...

Glad you all had such a brill time.
Sounds like I missed something very special indeed!

Leigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rudycat said...

I just found your blog and wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading it! As a writer, finding other communities of writers is so reassuring. You've got a new regular!

Rudycat
http://goodonpaper.today.com/

KayJay said...

Oh, I'm so envious! Sounds like you all had a great time.

hesitant scribe said...

It was fab - love your highlights!

Roll on the next one, eh!

Debs said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time, despite the trains. Eleven hours, phew.

Leigh said...

Oh, I don't know. Eleven hours alone on a train sounds like heaven to me!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I loved it too, it was great to meet you, Cally, and everyone else as well. I share your train pain, I too spent hours and hours on trains on Sat (for the novel racers) and Sun (for a different reason), not quite as many hours as you but I reckon at least 10 over the two days. Too damn long!!!

SpiralSkies said...

I'm so jealous but almost managing a smile, trying to figure out who's who... it must have been soooo much fun seeing everyone in 3D!

Lazy Perfectionista said...

I'm not sure it's a ghost, but one room in my flat ALWAYS smells really strongly of cigarette smoke, no matter how long we leave the window open. It might be drifting through the walls from next door, but it just seems rather strange that only one room ever smells really smoky (we sometimes get a whiff in the hall or on the stairs, but I think that's just if some naughty person has been smoking in the corridor outside our front door), so I've decided it must be a ghost. I picture it as the owner of the 19th century cotton factory workers (my flat is in a converted factory!) smoking as he worked in his office above the factory floor, watching over the workers through a fog of cotton fibres.