Friday, 16 May 2008

Waterstones story postcards competition

I saw this on Lily's blog and HAD to repost it here...

Waterstones are running a short story competition to celebrate the National Year of Reading. This competition gives writers the chance to be published alongside some of the world's greatest authors and even win an Arvon Writing Course. The only stipulation is that your story should be a maximum of 600 characters.

You can customise your story card too - change the font (*waves at Caroline*), add stencil images and borders, change the colours, loads of stuff.

NB: You can only enter once (as I just realised when I tried to submit a second entry) so choose your story wisely!

There's a link to the judging criteria so you might want to click on that before you enter your story.

Their favourite stories will get published online and three winners stories will be chosen to go into a postcard book (alongside the famous authors) - all proceeds of which go to Dyslexia Action and English PEN. All entries must be in before 19th June 2008 so click here now and get creating.

7 comments:

Caroline said...

I like my fancy fonts :)

x

Debs said...

Thanks for this, I shall give it a go. Mind you I have a feeling it's going to be harder than it first appears.

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks for this - I'm off to investigate. Thanks also for your detailed response to my short story ques on my blog - I left you a message in my comments if you're back my way anytime soon!

Lily Sheehan said...

Damn those one entry per person limits. Mind you I saw last night that 220 stories had been sent already. Sounds like its going to be very popular.

Kate.Kingsley said...

Oooh, thanks for the link Cally ~ this looks very interesting. The 600 character limit will be be one hell of an editing exercise!

:-)

Tam said...

I've got mixed feelings about this...I'll give it some more thought but as Debs says, it's probably a bit tricky.

Lane said...

You can get entry cards from Waterstones and post them in a box in store too. Good if you want to draw or play around first.

Bummer about the 'one per person though'.