I think you're a writer when...
- you love what you're writing one second and despise it with every bone in your body the second
- you get rejected and rejected and rejected and you keep on writing
- you have a new experience half of you is enjoying the experience the other half is thinking 'Could I use this in a story?'
- you have ideas for stories when you're falling asleep and you'd rather wake yourself to write them down rather than drift off
- your friends say 'and I thought you were supposed to be the writer' when they beat you at Scrabble
- you read a really, really good book and half of you says "That was amazing" and the other half says "Bitch/Bastard, I hate you!" about the writer
- you find yourself thinking about your characters as though they were real
- what you write makes you cry/laugh (and not because it's bad!)
- you'd rather cancel a social engagement than risk breaking the spell when bitten by the (rare) 'I can't stop writing now, it's just flowing out of me' bug
- you pick up on small things in a social situations and file them away. You notice the unusual hat someone is wearing, their odd speech inflection or their strange little mannerisms and think "I could use that for a character"
- you have a book on your bookcase that you think is really badly written but you don't throw it away because every time you feel crap about your own writing reading the rubbish book makes you feel better
- you think about giving up writing all the time but you just can't
- you wish you'd started years ago
Can you think of any more?