Friday, 27 June 2008

Slowly, slowly, writey novel

Last year I completed the first draft (100,000 words) of novel #1 in 3 months and 3 weeks. Looking back now I can't believe I managed to write so much in such a short time. Actually I can. I chose writing over a social life and hardly went out!

This time around, with novel #2, I decided I wanted to take things a bit easier and have more balance in my life only I seem to have taken things a bit TOO easy. I stared writing novel #2 on 4th April this year and so far, in just over 11 weeks, I've only managed to write 16,363 words (20% of the novel). At this rate it's going to take me another 44 weeks to finish the novel.

That would mean it would take me 13 MONTHS to write novel #2!

I know that probably sounds a reasonable amount of time to write a novel to some people but I'm already itching to get on with novel #3 (I'm not 100% sure what it's going to be about yet but a few ideas are bubbling around) so want to get novel #2 done and dusted asap.

So I've set myself a new deadline - to finish novel #2 by the end of September.

According to YWriter that's 'just' 670 words a day. Thanks to Helen's 100 Words a Day blog I've got into the habit of writing every day again and it really, really helps. I'll have to up my average word count though (about 267 words a day this week!).

But I can do it. I hope.

16,363 / 80,000 words (20.5% of novel #2)

6 comments:

Yvonne said...

Wow, how did you finish novel 1 in 3 months? Even if I gave up my social life I'd still find some other way to procrastinate. Kudos.

13 months really isn't a long time to write a novel especially if you're working, but I know what you mean, I'm also itching to get on with my second novel. Now that you've put your mind to it I know you'll do it in spades! Good luck!

Sarah*G* said...

You can do it! I am so pleased the 100 words blog came along. It has given me the kick up the backside I so badly needed. Some days I go great guns and do loads. Some days I just scrape the 100 required but it is still writing and the word counter is slowly going up again.
You will get there sooner than you think. I just know it!

Tam said...

I know you can do it....400 words a day isn't much. I've got into the habit of getting up half an hour earlier to do a bit of writing but I suppose it depends what time you get up already!

PS. Don't get a bunny - they're a terrible distraction.

L-Plate Author said...

Hi Cal, I did my second novel in three months but feel like I've come to a complete halt with book three too. I've not written anything for nearly a fortnight, not like me at all.

Maybe something is telling us to take our time and enjoy what we do when we want to rather than think we should be doing it and then beating ourselves up about it! xx

Calistro said...

Yvonne - Looking back I have no idea how I managed to write novel #1 so quickly! I think I was just so enthusiastic about it I couldn't not write (wish I had that enthusiasm for novel #2!)

Sarah - Thanks luv. I know what you mean about good days and bad. I just wish I had more great guns days than, well, rusty guns with faulty catches!

Tam - I don't have a bunny but I know what you mean about pets being a distraction. I hardly got anything done when I had my sister's dog here!

LPlate - Actually I'm wondering if my heart is really in this novel. I had an idea for novel #3 last night and got really, really excited about it but isn't it always the way with a new idea!

Fiona said...

After over three years, I still haven't edited Sitting Pretty but I wrote the non fiction book - only 50k words - in six months because I would have broken my contract if not.

So you are very, motivated and I am very lazy.

Go you!