Sunday, 13 July 2008

The flymo faught the garden and the garden won!

Up at 9am this morning. My sister drew up in her car at 10am (she's nothing if not punctual!). I'd already managed to drag the binbags containing the carpet and underlay, my broken airwalker thingy, a set of broken scales and various bits of wood to the kerb. Sister loaded them into the car while I went into the garden to get the broken push mower and the bits of wood that used to be my garden table/bench thing.

By 10.20am we were at the dump.

By 10.45 we were at B&Q. Spent £70 on a flymo mini, an extension cable/lead, some white paint and lots and lots and lots of bedding plants and plants for hanging basket.

By 11.20am I was in the garden.

FIVE AND A HALF HOURS later I stopped gardening.

My garden is only about 15 foot by 15 foot with two beds. How can one garden get so out of control? (I blame writing).

Anyway, I filled 5 bin bags with garden waste. That's how out of control it was. Oh yes, and the garden faught back and broke my brand new flymo. Well, it broke half the flymo. There are two plastic blades and it broke the plastic by one of the blades so the blade no longer stays put. Not that there was much of a blade left. The garden of doom had shorted each blade by about 3cm so they were just little stubby blades like milk teeth.

According to my receipt from B&Q I can get a replacement as long as I didn't "misuse, abuse or neglect" my flymo. Me thinks I should keep quiet about the fact my garden is 50% grass, 50% stones.

I'm pooped. Totally, totally pooped. And to think I was going to try and do a workout DVD in front of the TV tonight too. Ha!

And I don't think I'm going to be writing much either.

Ah well. Two jobs down (carpet and garden). Only 15 million to go....

6 comments:

pierre l said...

A very interesting way to tell the story of your garden. Sorry to be technical, but I think you will find that the plastic blades on your flymo are "consumables"; hence, you are expected to purchase a packet of replacement plastic blades. 5 bin bags is pretty good going though.

Tam said...

What, the same day that you bought the flymo? I'd be trying on with B&Q if I were you. The phrase "Fit for Purpose" springs to mind...

Anyway, I know all about unruly gardens. Well done for taming yours. You won't need the workout. Just you wait until tomorrow morning...

Calistro said...

Pierre - Good point but it's not the blades I'm worried about (it came with some spares), it's the fact the bit of plastic that holds the blades snapped! Now I have a flymo that only holds 1 blade instead of 2.

Tam - Yep, think I'm going to ring them tomorrow. It's a bit poor if the flymo breaks the first time I use it. It's not like my garden was a jungle...much ;o) Am fully expecting to ache like hell tomorrow. It's a Radox bath before bed for me!

pierre l said...

That does indeed sound like bad design or a faulty machine. Good luck.

KAREN said...

I've also been to the dump first thing - can't be right, can it? It's no way to start the week!

I'm orf to do some gardening now. A woman's work etc...

Debs said...

I would definately take it back and try and get a replacement. Mind you, it does sound like you've achieved a huge amount, well done, I bet it looks lovely.