Saturday, 5 July 2008

My story in Take a Break Fiction Feast - out now!

Back in April I posted that I'd had an email from Norah, Take a Break's fiction editor, to say she wanted to buy one of my stories.

Unlike some of the other mags TaB don't send you a complimentary copy of the issue your story is in so I had no idea my story had been published until Bernadette let me know! I was a leettle bit surprised that it was published in the August edition as the story has an autumnal setting but I'm not unhappy - it means I get paid sooner rather than later. (no sign of the cheque yet though!)

I've neglected the blog over the last couple of days because I've developed a stinky cold/chest infection that I can't shake off. Grrrr. I'd better feel well (or at least a bit less snotty) tomorrow as I'm off to see The Counting Crows and I want to jump about a bit without holding a roll of loo roll over my nose!

I've also neglected my novel over the last couple of days. I was at a bit of an impasse anyway because I knew I needed to go back and fix a couple of scenes at the beginning of the novel that painted my MC in quite an unsympathetic light but the cold made my brain feel too cloudy to come up with a solution. I did a bit of work on the novel today, more of a temporary fix than a solution, but I couldn't carry on writing with it nagging away at me. Weirdly I'm actually looking forward to editing this novel (and I hated editing novel #1). Not sure why that is - maybe because I'm mostly making this novel up as I go along whereas I planned a fair bit of novel #1.

Novel #3 is still bubbling around in my brain but I'm determined to try and finish novel #2 first*.

17,854 / 80,000 words (22.3% of novel #2)

*I reserve the right to change my mind at any time!

10 comments:

Leatherdykeuk said...

Congrats on the sale. They've published one of mine before, too.

Calistro said...

Leather - thanks luv! I had no idea you'd been published by TaB. You kept that quiet! When was it? Have you been published by any of the other womags?

Yvonne said...

Well done on the sale! Hope you're feeling much better today ahead of The Counting Crows.

Bernadette said...

Lovely story Cally. Well done again.

I had to wait about two or three weeks after publication for my TAB cheques so don't panic if it doesn't arrive immediately - though of course you probably know this already as you are now a seasoned TAB writer!

Tam said...

Well done Calistro - can't wait to get my mitts on a copy and read it :-)
Are you still using the dosh to get a new laptop?

womagwriter said...

Well done Cal! I subscribe to TAB FF so when my copy arrived I immediately flicked through to see who was in it (am awaiting publication of 2 of mine, too) and was delighted to see yours. Haven't had five minutes to read it yet though - too many visitors this week. Looking forward to some peace and quiet in the next few days to settle down with the mag.

Debs said...

Congratulations, I'm off to go and buy a copy.

Hope you're feeling much better today.

Lane said...

Well done! I hope it's on the shelves for a while because I haven't been able to find one locally.

hope you're feeling better and enjoyed the concert!:-)

L-Plate Author said...

Me too, I can't find it either Lane. But I will keep on trying.

Congrats regardless on another success! x

Gonna be a writer said...

Congrats. I'll be on the look out for a copy but they do seem to be like gold dust around here.