Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Happy Left Handed Day!

According to what I've been reading on the web today only 10% of people in the world are left-handed (I always knew I was unique!) and, depending on which source you read, it's either caused by too much testosterone in the womb (is that why I'm so tall?) or there's a left-handed gene.

Apparently left-handers are at greater risk of schitzophrenia (marvellous) but they are better at multi-tasking than right-handers and are more likely to be high-achievers (still waiting on that one).

Left handers often having trouble with their handwriting (you can't see the words because your hand is in the way so have to twist your hand round or turn the paper), scissors (the blades are on the wrong side), kitchen knives (ditto), corkscrews (watch a left hander next time you give them an old fashioned corkscrew, they'll turn the bottle instead of the screw), vegetable peelers and can openers to name a few impliments!

But you can buy left-handed versions of all of the above (and more)!

Happy Left Handed Day my cack handed friends and blog readers!

Am considering buying myself this pen to celebrate. Any excuse for a bit of new stationery!

13 comments:

Annie Bright said...

Wow, I didn't realise my left-handed-ness was something to celebrate. I had some real problems at school because I was left handed! OMG I can feel a short story coming on! Thank you for sharing :-)

Yvonne said...

As a righty I'm raging that I can't use this piece of information as an excuse to buy more stationary!

B said...

I used to do a music theory class. Of about 10 people who the woman taught in total, something like 7 were left handed. I was always jealous.

Happy left handed day Cally :)

Lily Sheehan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lily Sheehan said...

My sister is left handed and her hand writing is a lot neater than mine. You have given me plenty of xmas present ideas for her!!I read somewhere that if a woman smokes while pregnant it can increase the chances of the child being left handed by 10%. Happy LHD

Tam said...

My USP (I'm sure all us writers know what that means but I don't want to exclude anyone so: Unique Selling Point) is that I can lick my own elbow. Is there a Licky Elbow Day?

PS: Cally, I'm also tall - 5'10". Is there a connection, I wonder??

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I'm a lefty too, my grandma bought me a pair of left-handed scissors, they're brilliant, when my righty friends pick them up they say 'what's wrong with these scissors?' and I say 'that's how I feel ALL the time, welcome to my world'! Haven't developed schizophrenia yet though. At least, I don't think I have... Happy left-handed day to you too, Cally.

Debs said...

I'm left-handed too, as are my two children, two of my step-sons and ex-husband. I wish I was taller but the testosterone must have passed me by.

Kate.Kingsley said...

I noticed in my Mslexia Diary that it was left handers day and no-one believed me when i told them!

I used to try and train myself to write left-handed when I was younger cos I thought it was cooler. Never managed it though. Maybe I should start trying again...

Kate Lord Brown said...

Leftys were always v cool at school. Our littlest seems to use both hands at the moment, so it is 50/50 whether he'll be a super cool, tall, high achiever, but I can hope.

Fiona said...

Quite right too that there is a left handedness day. I wonder if there's a dyslexics day? I suppose we'd get it wrong every year though.

Good luck with subbing. I got my first rejection yesterday but it has to be worked through.

liz fenwick said...

Gee Fiona - I would have two days :-)

KAREN said...

One of my son's is left-handed and once at school I was shocked to discover the teacher's trying to 'train' him to use his right hand!!! For quite a few years he thought he wasn't 'normal.' In this day and age too.