Saturday, 30 August 2008

Magic Tiles?

Thank you to everyone for all your comments and well-wishes after yesterday's news. I'm really, really touched that so many people dropped by and left a message. And to the friends that called me up as soon as they heard the news. As I said in my last post this development isn't my dream come true yet (getting my book published) and it could still go horribly wrong, but it is a very reassuring step in the right direction!

I'm not quite as manic today as I was yesterday but I'm still incredibly excited and nervous about Wednesday when I'll go to the agency, meet everyone (including NiceMrAgent who first asked for the full of my novel back in November last year! Gosh...this has being going on for 10 months now!) and then go out for lunch with my agent to talk about my book, what happens next and discuss book 2. I've sent her two synopses - one for book #2 (which, like novel #1, has a supernatural element and I've written 20,000 words of it) and one for book #3 (which is 'normal' women's fiction, no supernatural bits and I've plotted it but not written a word!).

I've got a feeling that the agent will go for novel #2 but who knows! Maybe I'll have to come up with a totally new idea?

Anyway, on to the 'magic tiles' of this post's title...

For quite a while now I've been a big fan of an artist called Rob Ryan. He creates screen prints (on paper and tiles) from handcrafted cut outs/stencils. His work is incredibly imaginative, detailed, romantic and just, well, beautiful and I've wanted to buy something from his online shop for AGES. Unfortunately I can't afford one of his prints (about £200-£300 each) at the moment but the tiles are much more reasonably priced at £30 each.

Last week I ordered two and, after yesterday's developments, I'm starting to believe that they might possibly possess magical powers!

This is the one that arrived yesterday morning, a few hours before my agent called me...


And this is the one that arrived this morning...



*smiles*

I'm going to cherish these tiles for a long, long time.

11 comments:

JJ said...

It's such fantastic news - I'm still smiling for you.

I love the tiles - I'm going to go and look at his website now. And it does seem very timely.

Kate Lord Brown said...

Wow - this is amazing! I've had a picture I tore out of a magazine on the wall over my writing desk (silly me tore off the important bit - ie, who the print was by ...) Amazing to find it is Rob! Love your tiles and the synchronicity - congrats again, chuffed to bits for you.

Pat Posner said...

OMG, Cally
You know by now that I believe in signs and timing of things. I bet soon after you ordered the tiles, the agent was making the brilliant decision!
I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday (just relax and savour the day) and make sure you report back asap!

Sarah*G* said...

oh so spooky. It has to be a sign. As JJ said, I am still smiling about your fab news.

Tam said...

Now, you know the important thing is to make sure your agent buys you cake, don't you? It's a very telling thing, the buying of cake. Ask Lucy D.

Still basking in your glow, my dear. Well done once more :-)

Yvonne said...

Those tiles are gorgeous! I have to say, the rush of excitement that I got from reading your news stayed with me for hours afterwards - after reading all those miserable statistics and stories about the publishing industry, your agent's reaction gave me great hope for the future, so thank you for sharing your news with us!

Seizing Destiny said...

quite clearly you manifested success by ordering those tiles!

I am glad to have found your blog at this point in my own re-emergence as a writer after a long dormancy. It is encouraging!

Debs said...

What incredible timing. Gorgeous tiles, too.

Maddie Moon said...

Have just caught up with your fantastic news, Cally! Many, many congratulations, I'm absolutely thrilled for you.

Loved the tiles too. I think all us bloggers need to put in an order for a job lot!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Congratulations. Found your blog through Write on the Hill. As a fellow-writer am very pleased for you and do hope you have success.

Kate.Kingsley said...

Wow, I think I need to buy myself a few magic tiles ;-)