Tuesday, 5 August 2008

A Quickie!

I am still officially on blog hiatus but wanted to share three bits of good news.

1. I won the limerick competition over on Lucy Diamond's blog and my amazing prize is a box full of newly published books from Lucy's publishers. Can't WAIT to receive them.
By the way, Lucy's new book "Over You" is out now. I totally LOVED her last book "Any Way You Want Me" so go buy the new one on Amazon (or in your local bookshop) asap (I've ordered my copy)!
2. Erotic short story site A Woman's Goodnight have been in touch to say they'd like to buy an erotic story I submitted to them back in November. It's the one, and only, erotic story I've ever written so I'm pretty chuffed. It's the only story I've written under a pseudonym too (you'd understand why if you saw how smutty it is! ;0)) and no, I'm not going to tell you what that name is!
3. After two rejections in a row Norah from Take a Break got in touch today to tell me she'd like to buy one of my stories for Fiction Feast. It's the first story I ever wrote for my Story A Fortnight group which makes me hugely proud. That's three womag sales from the group now (the first two were by Maddie and French Poppy) and the quality of the stories we're producing are so good I just KNOW there's going to be lots lots more (she said modestly on behalf of the group :o))
Still no news from BigShot agent on the rewrite but that's okay, with the stress of trying to rent out my flat and find a new one in London that's been the last thing on my mind recently! But I HAVE been thinking about novel #2 and have decided to put it on the backburner for a while. Something that's hugely important to me is that writing should be enjoyable (or else why do it?) and I haven't enjoyed writing novel #2 for some time now.
But.
I AM very excited about the idea I've got for novel #3 (which will be my first non-supernatural woman's fiction book). I'm not going to rush into this idea like I did with novel #2 and am spending a lot of time thinking about the characters and formulating the plot. Talking of which I can thoroughly recommend this book:
I think the big mistake I made with novel #2 was not plotting enough before I started writing. That's not a mistake I aim to make with novel #3. I also didn't get to know my characters enough before I put fingers to keyboard and this time around I genuinely want to care about them. When I wrote novel #1 at superspeed (under 4 months, speedy for me!) I really, really cared about my characters, thought about them all the time and hurt when they hurt. Not so with novel #2.
So yes. On with novel #3....


12 comments:

JJ said...

Congratulations on winning the limerick competition - I thought they were all fab. (What an incredible prize too!)

Also brill new on the erotic story (but I'm going pink just mentioning it here, so I won't be asking for the title!)

That book, Plot and Structure, is fab too - I'm using it and it's one of the few I brought to the UK with me.

JJx

Pat Posner said...

Congratulations on your win and on the erotic and of Fiction Feast sale.
When you're back for real go have a look at the map and model on my blog - you might fancy doing something like that for novel 3 - it really helped me know my characters inside out when I made them.
Over You is brilliant, I didn't want it to end.
Hope the flat renting/hunting is going well
'See' you soon
Pat

Lily said...

Congratulations on everything, you brilliant writer, you! I've got that plot book, too, and have found it very helpful.

Quillers said...

Congratulations, Cally! You're on a roll!

Good idea about the pseudonym. I started using one for my erotica, but not before I let a couple of stories through using my usual pen-name. Gulp!

Tam said...

I started to research a feature for an erotic woman's mag and gave up yesterday - the blushes were too much!
Well done on the TaB sale - you're an inspiration :-)

Kate.Kingsley said...

"Well done"'s all round! Loved your limerick :-).

I've thought about venturing into erotic fiction but i get too embarrassed, so I'm very impressed by your bravery with that!

KAREN said...

Great news on the SAF front! Well deserved :o)

I like the sound of that book. I've fallen victim to the getting- over-excited-and-not-thinking-it-through-properly scenario before. I think I'm on top of things this time though!

Leigh said...

Great news about your hits, Calistro!

I picked up a book from the 'erotic' section in Waterstones earlier in the week, just to see what it was all about. I read about four lines before blushing, putting it down (with just the right hint of irritation to suggestion that I'd picked it up by mistake), glancing around to make sure no one I know had seen me, and moved on swiftly to the next section...

Hats off to you for writing the stuff!

Paige said...

Congratulations on winning the competition! And well done with the erotic story!

I've just finished Over You and it's every bit as wonderful as Any Way You Want Me. Completely recommend it! Lucy D has done a great job!

Annie Bright said...

Hi ... I'm fairly new to blogging and keep seeing your name pop up, so thought I'd say hi!
Congratulations on your win! And good luck with novel number 3!

Gonna be a writer said...

Great news - well done.

Debs said...

Congratulations on all your great news, well deserved too.

I'm waiting for Lucy Diamond's new book to arrive and can't wait to read it. What a wonderful prize winning those books.