Tuesday, 30 September 2008

Good news!

I haven't blogged about Caroline's book launch yet (it was excellent!) but just HAD to post this first...

Just found out that my story "My Daughter the Deep Sea Diver" has placed 3rd in the Writers Bureau short story competition! I've been trying to crack this competition for years (well, three or four) and now I have!

I couldn't be more delighted!

I think my story will be available to read online in the next couple of days if anyone's interested.

No news on the novel. I completed the edits last week and it's in the hands of the gods (well, my agent/editors) now. If it sells I will squeal like I've never squealled in my life before (and I'm not a squeally type of girl!) but I've been reading writers' blogs/forums for long enough now to know that getting an agent doesn't guarantee a thing. It could still all go horribly wrong and I might be one of those writers that has to write 3, 4 or 5 books before they see their work on the shelves. If ever. But we'll see. Fingers crossed and baby steps and all that.

And in the meantime. Third place in the Writers Bureau comp. Squeeeeeee!

20 comments:

KAREN said...

That's brilliant news, well done :o) I'll look forward to reading it. Fingers crossed re: the novel too!

Lane said...

Well done Cally. That's great news!

Caroline said...

You have fairy dust. It will all be more than fine and full of squeal. I just know.

x

Captain Black said...

Good job, Cally. Well done.

SpiralSkies said...

Oh wow, you have all the fairy dust in the whole wide world! The Writer's Bureau comps are beasts to crack and you've gone and done it! Woo hoo!

DOT said...

Not being a squealy sort of individual either, I shall make an exception and harmonise with your squeal. Just give me the note.

Congratulations. And I am so sorry to have missed you at Caroline's Oxford Street launch.

Debs said...

Brilliant news, congratulations, no wonder you're thrilled. :)

Tam said...

Woo hoo! Well done!

KayJay said...

Hurrah! Long may the good stuff continue!

Leigh said...

Congratulations, Cal! Excellent news!

Bernadette said...

That's fabulous Cally. Well done!

Maddie Moon said...

Well done, Cally, that's great news. I'll definitely make a point of reading your story.

And I'm sure we'll be hearing that squeal very soon!!

Quillers said...

Well done, Cally!

And I reckon those agents know their onions. The squeal from the south coast will be so loud, we'll have to be putting our ear plugs in in Chesterfield ;-)

Yvonne said...

Fantastic news Cally! You're on an amazing roll.

Pat Posner said...

Great news, Cally.
Fingers crossed for your novel!

B said...

Well done and well done again! That's fab and you deserve the success after all your hard work :)

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Just caught up with this... WOO HOO!!!!! That's 110% wonderful news.

Jean said...

Congrats re the competition. Good luck with your novel.

womagwriter said...

Wow, well done! That is a seriously BIG competition to be placed in!

Kate.Kingsley said...

(whoops ~ my comment from yesterday seems to have evaporated into the ether?!)

Hugely well done Cally ~ fab news & thoroughly well deserved!!