Friday, 12 September 2008

Screenprints and Sunsets

A few posts ago I talked about the magic tiles I ordered from talented artist Rob Ryan. Mister Rob, as he is known, is based in London and has a shop in the east end that's only open on a Sunday. I really, really want to go and visit his shop but, what with the rewrite for MsAgent and everything, I haven't really got time.

So imagine my delight when I received an email from Mister Rob yesterday saying that a gallery on Brighton seafront was exhibiting his work.

AND...

...the first 50 people to step through the doors at 6pm on opening night would receive a free lazer cut (shown above).

I couldn't believe my luck!

I hot-footed it down there and arrived at the door five minutes early (but it was okay, five other people were already in the gallery so I wasn't the only obsessive fan to rush down there). After a bit of faffing about and confusion I was given my free print, paid to have it framed (ooh it's going to look soooooooo lovely) and wandered round looking at Mister Rob's prints.

They were absolutely gorgeous and if I ever have a spare £1,500 I'm so going to buy one of the original lazer cuts (or a spare £400 for a print).

As I wondered past the cash desk on the way out I couldn't resist buying a copy of Mister Rob's book This Is for You*. It was more expensive than the copies sold on Amazon but I wasn't bothered. I just wanted to look at more prints and read more words.

As the sun slipped down the sky I took my book down to the seafront, sat down on the pebbles and turned the first page.

And discovered that it was a signed copy!

A perfect end to a wonderful afternoon :o)

* the most romantic book I've read in a long, long time. If you are a man and you want to buy your partner a present that will make her melt. GET IT! And if you're a woman with a romantic bone in your body, GET IT! Honestly, it's so lovely.

p.s. If you've found this blog via Caroline's widget please leave me a comment to say hello. I promise my blog posts aren't normally this mushy/gushy!

16 comments:

JJ said...

Wow. Things are so timely for you at the moment. It would be wonderful to remember this time in your life with a special piece of artwork, wouldn't it? ... should you ever find yourself with some unexpected cash...

SSC~ The Domestic Diva said...

I found you through that great thing called black box. I love this new widget.

liz fenwick said...

Ditto what JJ said.....beutiful print.

Tam said...

I love the sentiment expressed in that print - isn't it just what writer's try to achieve?
Your Rob sounds like a splendid chap. Is it too much to hope he's a looker as well? Any pics online, Calistro??

Pat Posner said...

It's a lovely print, Cally.
The book sounds fascinating, I checked it out on Amazon. I had a book buying fest before I saw your post so this one will have to wait a little while.

HelenMH said...

What a lovely serene post. I need some serenity in my life at the moment so that book sounds just the job!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Hi, found you via Black Box, fabulous creation. Very pleased to have found actually. I'm currently writing a novel about the life of a Medium, obviously paranormal with a lot of beefing up to add some fictional mystery!

Lovely print, you sound like you had a wonderful after with fond memories.

Crystal Jigsaw xx

Jan Jones said...

Found you via the black box. Nice print. Lovely about the signed-copy-book!

liz fenwick said...

Hi back again via Black Boxes :-)

Cathy said...

Ooh I just googled Rob Ryan and I *heart* his work!

Mental P Mama said...

Beautiful print. Beautiful post. I am here via the black box, and I will return!

Pamela said...

Found you via Black Box, but will be back very often.

Posh Totty said...

Great Blog, I was sent here via my black box :o) Xx

dlyn said...

Hi - got here via the BB - nice blog!

Tam said...

I ordered the book today, can't wait to get it tomorrow :-)

ArtSparker said...

Hello -

I am here via the black box. I had the experience earlier this year of going to a reading because I liked the title of the book, The Lost Books of The Odyssey. I can really relate to discovering new inspirational creative work. There is a feeling that perhaps wonderful things are around us all the time.