Tuesday, 16 September 2008

Short Story Challenge

Like short story competitions?

Like writing to prompts?

Thrive on a deadline?

Got £15?

Want to (potentially) win £110?

Got enough time in the next 20 weeks to write a story a fortnight?

If the answers to the above questions are YES! (or even Yes Please!) get yourself along to Slingink and sign up for the Eurofiction competition.

It's called Eurofiction because, a bit like Eurovision, the submitted stories are given a score (some stories get 'nil point'!) and the scores are collated in a league table. Over the 20 weeks (10 stories) you'll see yourself rise (or fall!) in the table and the writer with the highest cumulative score at the end of the competition is the winner. You'll also receive your score via email with a couple of brief lines of critique.

I entered last year (and the year before that) and while I didn't win I did get a lot out of it. It increased my short story productivity for one and I even went on to sell a couple of my stories.

I should note here that this competition isn't without its hiccups and, pretty much every year, entrants moan that they want to know who the judges are and what qualifies them to judge a short story competition (the judges are anonymous and plan on remaining that way!) and there are some heated discussions about whether or not the top scoring merited its score or not. Oh..and if you're a very literary writer you probably won't score very well. This is a comp for the genre writers amongst you.

I say go for it. It's a bit of fun and you'll be 10 stories up by the end of it if nothing else. You'll need to sign up as a Slingink member before you can enter the comp (membership is free). Oh yes, and it all kicks off on 1st October so make sure you register in good time.

17 comments:

Virtual Voyage said...

....via black box; - going to check out the lazer cuts, they look brilliant and may pass on the ss link!

Great blog; glad I dropped in!
(Totally random selection of choices without looking of course...)

DOT said...

I am in two minds, as I've commented somewhere before, about competitions. I am quite tempted 'cos, as you say, it would be a good exercise (and just how do you sell short storeys anyway?) Pulling on my other brain, I worry it will distract me from completing my novel. Erm… [tosses a coin - it lands on its edge]

Lena said...

came through black box, and loved your blog and also the fact that you are a writer :)
Good luck with your writing and publishing thing :)

Lily Sheehan said...

I want to do this but I'm afraid I will struggle. How much experience do you need to do this?

Fionnuala said...

Hmmm...will think about it...Fx

Lucy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Calistro said...

Virtual voyage - hello! Thanks for popping by :o)

Dot - How do you sell short storeys? Take them to a height-challenged estate agents?

Lena - Thanks for visiting my blog and for the good luck wishes

Lily - You don't need any experience! And you can choose a pseudonym so no one will know how well you're doing. Your story can be as long or as short as you like and any genre. They give you a choice of 3 prompts so you just choose the one you like the sound of the most. If you want to up your short story output and you're up for a challenge go for it!

Fionnuala - Don't think too long - you've only got until 1st October to register ;o)

*~*{Sameera}*~* said...

That's interesting!

Hello,dropped here by the box :)

Country Girl said...

Thanks for the kind comment you left on my blog. I'm getting a lot of visitors from the UK. Good to meet you!

Juliette M said...

Just signed up as a member - I'm going to do this! :) Should be fun and will get me back into the swing of writing.

I should finish all my flash fictions too... sigh

wordtryst said...

I'm too chicken to enter competitions, and too rushed at the moment even if I wanted to. But good luck to the brave!

Thank you for coming to my book launch party. Maybe I'll be attending yours very soon!

xx

Tam said...

Ooooh, how tempting...but regrettably I don't think I'll have time to do. I really ought to concentrate on the projects I've already started!

Great idea though :-)

Debs said...

I think I might have a go at this, thanks for posting about it.

Debs said...

Ooh I've been sent here by the black box widget.

Hullaballoo said...

hi there, I came via Black Boxes

Leigh Russell said...

Every time I roam around, I find something new to puzzle over. Blackb box? Sounds mysterious. Congratulations on signing with an agent and good luck with finding a publisher. As usual, I've done things backwards and have a publisher without first finding an agent... I seem to do everything back to front! But now that I'm being published, do I need an agent? Maybe, to negotiate the TV and film contracts when they come flooding in... (you can tell I write fiction!)

Fiona said...

I love your blog not least because you have so much knowledge on what's going on in the world of writing - and you're funny. Funny nice I mean.