Saturday, 25 October 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!


I've been ill with a cold and chest infection this week and have been desparately willing my body to get well for my birthday today. If there's one thing worse that being another year older (yes, I finally understand why, when I was a child, my mum never got very excited by her impending birthdays) it's being ill on the actual day. I've been ill on my birthday a few times over the years (one of the joys of being born in cold and flu season!) but am pleased to report that I feel much better today (red nose excepted!).

Anyway, one of the side effects of being ill this week has been insomia. I haven't been able to get to sleep until 4 or 5am every day. That was a huge pain in the bum at first but recently my insomnia has started to bear fruit. On Thursday night I created a synopsis for the new book 2 (quite a vague synopsis but a synopsis nevertheless) and last night, during a marathon 'Anthony and Cleopatra' watching session (I'd forgotten how long a film it is!) I outlined the first nine scenes of novel 2!

This is very good progress and it's exactly what I did when I was writing novel 1. I knew the beginning, I knew the end and I only had a vague idea what happened in the middle but I knew enough about the first few scenes to get writing. Now all I need is an okay from my agent (on my synopsis) and I'll start writing. And you know what? I can't bloody wait!

On a personal level I'm not too happy about being another year older but there is cause for celebration. This has been my best writing year ever and, in the future, when I look back on this birthday, I'll always associate it with wonderful things happening to my writing career.

And yes, there is news on the search for a publisher front. But nothing official yet (and possibly for some time) so watch this space...

15 comments:

L-Plate Author said...

Happy Birthday honey! Just think, you'll never catch me up, sigh!

Congrats on a great year and here's to the next one, hope it is just as successful, if not more. x

Debs said...

Glad you're feeling better for your birthday, hope it's a great one.

You've certainly had a brilliant year, hopefully next year will be great too.x

JJ said...

Happy birthday Cally. I'm so sorry you're ill, but wow, you're amazingly productive while being ill.

Have a lovely day anyway.

Sarah*G* said...

Happy Birthday to you! You have had a brilliant writing year and I am sure the next one will be just as good, if not better!

Kate Lord Brown said...

Happy Birthday - and congratulations on the soon to be good news. Being ill has always been amazingly effective in writing terms - at least for me (burning fevers, lolling around unable to do anything else etc). Perfect conditions for creativity!

womagwriter said...

Happy Birthday to yououuuuuu!

Sorry you've been ill but hey. 23 isn't one of those important birthdays, is it? You can have another 23rd next year, and the year after.... I do.

Lane said...

Happy Birthday!

Here's to even better things for your next year!

Pat Posner said...

Hey, Cally, we're birthday sisters (I bet I'm loads older than you)! Happy Birthday!

And well done on all the writing from your sick bed. Hope you're better now.

DOT said...

Happy Birthday!

I haven't tried the watching Anthony & Cleopatra for inspiration yet - must give it a go.

Flowerpot said...

happy birthday Cally and hope you feel better now. Last year I had chronic toothache for my birthday and was on antibiotics so I couldnt eat or drink!! Good news on hte creative front though and I hope you can sleepa gain now.

Captain Black said...

Supercallyfragilisticexpialidocious!

Tam said...

May be too late for this but there's a super recipe for Vodka-Lemsips over at Spiral Skies?

Hope you had a good day and that this is the start of an even more successful year :-)

KAREN said...

Belated birthday greetings! I'm often ill too, being as my birthday's in January :o( Hope you had a lovely day, and glad you've managed to be productive on the writing front :o)

pierre l said...

Congratulations on the best writing year ever, and happy birthday as well.
Looking forward to going to your first book signing at some point.

wordtryst said...

Happy belated, Calistro! What do you mean about being a year older? You're just 11 - I counted! :)